Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol okay. 

I mean you can believe me or not.  I don't care.  Not sure why that is so hard to believe.

I have a twin brother and we both grew up playing Baseball because that is what my dad did.  We would go out into the backyard and play catch and field ground balls for hours every day.

I grew up in the midwest and was able to go out into my dads car at night when the airwaves were clearer and listen to the Oriole games from Detroit, Toronto, Milwaukee, NY, even Boston sometimes.  All I ever wore in the summer was Oriole stuff.  I was also an all state Bball player and tennis player and played 4 years of college tennis at MSU.    I played travel hockey and played in Canada from the time I was 14-17 as well in the winters.  My actual best sport is bowling as I have a 225 average and bowl on the regional PBA tour on the West coast.  Also lift weights 4-5 days a week. 

Look at my avi.  That is me at 48 years old. 

I grew up playing all sports but baseball as a kid was my favorite.  Huge Oriole and Colts fan.  Maybe you should get out more instead of sitting on your computer criticizing others. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I mean you can believe me or not.  I don't care.  Not sure why that is so hard to believe.

I have a twin brother and we both grew up playing Baseball because that is what my dad did.  We would go out into the backyard and play catch and field ground balls for hours every day.

I grew up in the midwest and was able to go out into my dads car at night when the airwaves were clearer and listen to the Oriole games from Detroit, Toronto, Milwaukee, NY, even Boston sometimes.  All I ever wore in the summer was Oriole stuff.  I was also an all state Bball player and tennis player and played 4 years of college tennis at MSU.    I played travel hockey and played in Canada from the time I was 14-17 as well in the winters.  My actual best sport is bowling as I have a 225 average and bowl on the regional PBA tour on the West coast.  Also lift weights 4-5 days a week. 

I grew up playing all sports but baseball as a kid was my favorite.  Huge Oriole and Colts fan.  Maybe you should get out more instead of sitting on your computer criticizing others. 

I didn’t say I didn’t believe you. But I think your whole take on Flaherty being some bad influence because he looked down while walking off the mound or something was absurd. 

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

So I thinking you are judging a bad spot. I’m 100% sure Flaherty wants to do well. Leaving the mound after coughing up a lead and continually performing poorly is eating at him. It’s my general thought that you are misinterpreting his disappointment into something else?

I barely remember being 4 or 5, so even though I remember a few things from that age I doubt it provides value beyond an occasional experience more centered around a family member than an O’s game.

BTW, I played a ton of ball and have been an official since my mid 20s (nearly 30 years). I do football and softball both up to a high school level now. But, have also done Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer. When I speak of that experience on blog sites you get reactions from fans that’s pretty negative. I know that fans don’t care to and generally don’t know most of the rules, especially football fans. Parents show up most Saturdays (at rec level) as coaches and argue about rules not being familiar with the differences from High School rules to college. Even rec leagues use the NFHS format and then has some league rules, related to weight, age, etc. And then want to argue about it as if it’s the end of the world rather than a kids game where they are supposed to be learning things like sportsmanship, fundamentals, discipline, etc.

I have no doubt you are at minimum a some what knowledgeable. But, you approach is going encourage snarky responses. And really, you do care as you wouldn’t be posting at a site like this of you didnt. Also, no one is questioning your fandom and us old guys see things like threads calling this the greatest Orioles team ever already. And it’s easy to understand since their lifetime of Orioles teams have been under the Angelos family ownership. With mostly dreadful outcomes, bad decisions, money squandering, meddling etc.

Ok I’m rambling….LOL

Edited by Roll Tide

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Everything we've heard about Flaherty is that he's a great teammate and intense competitor. I can almost guarantee any displeasure he's showing on the mound or dugout is directed at himself. No one wants to join a playoff team and be a failure. 

I think sometimes it's easy for some fans to draw conclusions on the player's attitude, but unless you are in the clubhouse, I don't think anyone can have a true understanding of the player as a person or teammate. 

Flaherty has a 7.16 ERA in his 6 starts, but the Orioles are 3-3 in his six starts. The problem I see with Flaherty is his fastball is a below average pitch in movement and velocity and that means he needs to be very much in command to have success. The curveball which has morphed into more of a sweeper, has been ok, but the last few starts it did not have it's late break and has been more slurvy and hittable.

His percentile rankings don't make you too thrilled that he's a guy you want starting in the playoffs. 

image.thumb.png.fda425c33384ee0efca27e35eb2e3fee.png

I doubt Elias is looking for Flaherty to pitch in the playoffs.  I think that ship has sailed.  The question is does he make it through the rest for the regular season.

Edited by wildcard

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Elias is looking for Flaherty to pitch in the playoffs.  I think that ship has sailed.  The question is does he make it through the rest for the regular season.

Agreed he is not going to make the playoff roster, as I predicted 3 weeks ago, but at this point he should be released. A Nick Vespi would be more valuable for the AL East title push than Flaherty.