Colton Cowser 2023

Frobby

1 hour ago, deward said:

I can't figure out what happened on that throw. On the replay, it seems like he was throwing it towards Westburg, who decided to get out of the way for reason, and no one was home behind him. Not entirely sure it was Cowser's fault.

I was at the game. It looked to me like he threw it right to Westburg who seemed to have his back (or more accurately, his left side perhaps) toward the throw and didn’t realize the throw was coming toward him and thus moved away from the throw. I was in the club level in line with home plate along the third base line, so I think my view was pretty accurate. 

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I went back and watched Cowser's throw in the 8th and that actually appeared to be an error that should be spread around to three rookies, with Cowser being the least responsible.

Westburg doesn't "run away" from the ball but he inexplicably doesn't cut it off and lets it go through.  The problem with that is both he and Henderson are out of position so the ball just rolls into left field.

Outfielders are taught to throw to the base. It’s the infielders’ responsibility to be positioned to receive the throw. Could it have been a better throw? Sure but Cowser did what he should have done on the play.

It was a mental error on the part of the infield and the throw could have been better. 

Edited by banks703
  • Upvote 1

Just now, banks703 said:

Outfielders are taught to throw to the base. It’s the infielders’ responsibility to be positioned to receive the throw. Could it have been a better throw? Sure but Cowser did what he should have done on the play. 

Well, that was actually the mistake that Cowser made and why I didn't call him blameless.

He didn't throw to the base.  He threw to Westburg, who was out of position, so when he let it go through it rolled into LF and not to 2b.

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, that was actually the mistake that Cowser made and why I didn't call him blameless.

He didn't throw to the base.  He threw to Westburg, who was out of position, so when he let it go through it rolled into LF and not to 2b.

Right which is why I wrote that it could have been a better throw. Technically we’re taught to throw “through” the base but to/through can be interchangeable in this context. A better throw certainly helps but JW not cutting it was why it was so errant. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I did see that but I thought he was showing frustration at O'Hearn for not taking 2nd base. O'Hearn looked like he was trying to explain something to the dugout.   And Hyde looked like he was pointing to second and said "Go! G** D***!"

But your explanation might be possible as well. 

I thought he was pissed the umps weren't giving him time to switch in a pinch runner. The Mets announcers thought the same thing.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I did see that but I thought he was showing frustration at O'Hearn for not taking 2nd base. O'Hearn looked like he was trying to explain something to the dugout.   And Hyde looked like he was pointing to second and said "Go! G** D***!"

But your explanation might be possible as well. 

On the replay of that, I noticed O’Hearn about to round 1B and then saw Alonso was standing in front of 1B in his way. O’Hearn actually tapped Alonso on his back as he went around him. Alonso was absolutely startled by the tap. I thought Hyde was wanting him to go to second so they could claim obstruction. Maybe I’m wrong there. 

Just now, Gurgi said:

Probably the best game for Cowser.  He looked like he really belongs.

Definitely his best game imo.  He's gradually looking better and better.  Either him or McKenna are off the island when Mullins is healthy.

He needs to keep showing.