Enrique Bradfield 2023

Jagwar

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Assuming production, they'll move him quickly, but I'm not sure why Dylan Crews is mentioned anywhere in this thread. He's a stud on a different level than most recent draft picks.

Only mentioning him as another example of a 2023 draftee that has been moved quickly. There are several examples of that in this draft. There is no reason to hold back Bradfield.

Dont get me wrong, I know they will move him quickly enough but that’s not really the point. I personally don’t believe in having a player in a league that isn’t going to challenge him enough. Bradfield is far from a finished product with the bat but I think he needs to be in a higher league to challenge his skill level more.

On 8/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, RZNJ said:

It’s terrible how the Orioles mismanage their minor league players.  Just about every high college pick they’ve had spent some time at Delmarva and they seem to have done just fine.  Chill out.

Seems like there are lots of other posters here that also need to be chastised about potentially promoting Bradfield.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Only mentioning him as another example of a 2023 draftee that has been moved quickly. There are several examples of that in this draft. There is no reason to hold back Bradfield.

Dont get me wrong, I know they will move him quickly enough but that’s not really the point. I personally don’t believe in having a player in a league that isn’t going to challenge him enough. Bradfield is far from a finished product with the bat but I think he needs to be in a higher league to challenge his skill level more.

I think the O's do this essentially as a method of orientation and getting guys to know other players/staff throughout the org. It's been short-lived for most of the good ones, so it seems to be a fair approach.

Bradfield had two SBs yesterday, moving him up to 17 steals in his 14 games at Delmarva. He also forced yet another balk. After just over two dozen games, he already sits on the fringes of the top 40 in the Carolina League in SBs for the season.

The A ball level has been home to some really incredible seasons as far as thievery is concerned. Billy Hamilton with 103, Eric Young (Jr) with 87, Delino Deshields (Jr) with 83, Jorge Mateo with 71 in 91 games. Chandler Simpson of the Rays has an incredible 81 SBs in 91 games so far this year. 

But not one of them has come particularly close to a rate of over 1 SB per game.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Bradfield had two SBs yesterday, moving him up to 17 steals in his 14 games at Delmarva. He also forced yet another balk. After just over two dozen games, he already sits on the fringes of the top 40 in the Carolina League in SBs for the season.

The A ball level has been home to some really incredible seasons as far as thievery is concerned. Billy Hamilton with 103, Eric Young (Jr) with 87, Delino Deshields (Jr) with 83, Jorge Mateo with 71 in 91 games. Chandler Simpson of the Rays has an incredible 81 SBs in 91 games so far this year. 

But not one of them has come particularly close to a rate of over 1 SB per game.

Hopefully Bradfield never gets enough games at any level to break those records!

Well, at least not in A ball. Maybe AA/AAA.

Even adjusting for the level of competition, Bradfield seems to have exceptionally good strike zone judgement and ability to make contact (K/BB ratio of 8 to 18 at Delmarva, OBP over .550) as well as speed.  I am concerned about the lack of power (only 2 doubles in 45 at bats, isolated power of 0.045 at Delmarva).   He's going to need to be able to drive the ball occasionally to keep pitchers honest at higher levels.  

• Upvote 1

It isn't hard to picture Bradfield's isolated power a little like Mountcastle's strike zone control.    If he can just stay out of the MLB gutter and get to like 20th-25th percentile, it'll help the whole thing work.

As almost always, about 300 Bats are on pace for 300 PA, essentially covering all the important position players.

Some ISO readouts this year:

Best - Ohtani/Judge, Worst - Tim Anderson/Myles Straw

~5th percentile/15th worst - Jeff McNeil

~10th percentile/30th worst - Tony Kemp

~20th percentile/60th worst - Ramon Urias     (EBJ will have OPACY help to Ramon's hinder)

I'd imagine Ramon Urias power being about his upside, but with all that defense and speed.      How well Cowser/Kjerstad settle into MLB defensive roles may lightly influence how urgently EBJ is needed sooner rather than later.    Even if Cowser/Kjerstad aren't what's hoped, we're running O'Hearn and Frazier willy nilly out there these days.

The bigger deal there....Cedric's 4-year Sprint Speed percentile scan is 92-86-80-66, and couple of leg problems in 2023.    I still think he'll play above late Adam Jones level there whenever some kind of ritualistic baton passing occurs in about two years.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

I think it's a little early to be concerned about his lack of power.  We all knew that was the one tool needing the most development.  I think he just needs to develop enough power to keep pitchers honest.  I think our minor league development staff has demonstrated their skill in developing hitters, so I'm excited to see what they can do with him.