Worried about our pitching.

Natty

Playoffs looming. We are in it. 

We have no idea who our starters will be. 

We have no idea who our bullpen will be.

I'm just guessing, other playoff bound teams pretty much know who will be pitching in the playoffs for them. 

Is it just me?

11 minutes ago, Natty said:

Playoffs looming. We are in it. 

We have no idea who our starters will be. 

We have no idea who our bullpen will be.

I'm just guessing, other playoff bound teams pretty much know who will be pitching in the playoffs for them. 

Is it just me?

This is the playoff rotation as I see it currently:

3 game series (hopefully we don't have to worry about this):  Bradish, Flaherty, and Grayson (not in this order)

5 game series:  Bradish, Flaherty, Grayson, best match-up, Bradish

7 game series:  Bradish, Flaherty, Grayson, the best match-up, Bradish, Flaherty, and Grayson

Bullpen has more questions.  Thankfully, a Mountain covers a lot of ground!  (Whoever isn't the best match-up of Gibson or Wells would be in the BP.)

My take on the competition:

Rotation wise - TEX, MIN, and SEA have good top end starters.  I should include HOU too but I think there are chinks in that armor.  TBR isn't there because no McClanahan.  In the NL, ATL, PHI and LAD have good top 3 SPs.  MIL could be in the discussion with health.

Bullpen - Only ATL has more talent options.  HOU and MIN are about the same as we are.

Defensively, we might be the best.  ATL and HOU in the discussion.

Offensively, TEX, LAD, ATL, and TBR have scored more.  HOU is basically the same.  ATL, TEX, TBR and LAD have a higher OPS+ than we do.

ATL, TEX, HOU, and maybe LAD probably have better WS odds than we do.  We're likely in the next tier named "That's Why They Play The Game."

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. He actually had/has a higher fWAR than Bradish.

He's the defacto number one.  I know his stats aren't sterling, but part of that is because of the workload they  put on him.  We saw it last night.  They'll leave him out there to eat innings and give up runs in ways they wouldn't with anybody else.

I don't know exactly how they'll structure their rotation, and scheduling could play a huge part, but I think my point is dead on: He's more likely to start Game 1 than be taken out of the rotation.

Edited by Pickles

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's the defacto number one.  I know his stats aren't sterling, but part of that is because of the workload they  put on him.  We saw it last night.  They'll leave him out there to eat innings and give up runs in ways they wouldn't with anybody else.

I don't know exactly how they'll structure their rotation, and scheduling could play a huge part, but I think my point is dead on: He's more likely to start Game 1 than be taken out of the rotation.

If we face Seattle he better not be the game 1 pitcher or game 2 or 3.  They have killed in both starts.  

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He would have to fall apart to not be in the rotation…he isn’t close to that point.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. He actually had/has a higher fWAR than Bradish.

Because he's thrown 30 ish more innings.  It will depend on if Bradish can still be effective by the end of the season.  If he's throwing like he has been then I don't see why you'd tab Gibson as the #1 starter.

• Upvote 1