O's pitching since the All-Star break

wildcard

Outside of Fuji, Gibson and Wells its been amazing.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/stats/pitching/era?split=posas&playerPool=ALL&sortState=asc

I think they are figuring out how to help Fuji.  Gibson had the one bad game where Hyde kept him out there to save the pen.   Wells is getting the rest he needed and will be back stronger.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Keep accumulating arms. They seem to know how to get some life out of a lot of them.

Not sure what I'd do with Cano at this point. Part of me wants to send him down with Wells in the hopes that a few weeks will let him become dominant again. I just don't think that's in the cards with him though.

What I’ve noticed is that our starters are getting deep into games far more regularly.  They’ve averaged 5.60 IP per start since the break, compared to 5.33 before the break.  And really, the change in fortune occurred around July 1.  5.24 IP/start before that date, 5.73 after.   Starters’ ERA down from 4.74 to 3.63 in those two periods.  

Also, Gibson’s post ASB ERA looks awful because of that one game in Seattle, but he’s had 4 QS in his 6 starts since the break.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Keep accumulating arms. They seem to know how to get some life out of a lot of them.

Not sure what I'd do with Cano at this point. Part of me wants to send him down with Wells in the hopes that a few weeks will let him become dominant again. I just don't think that's in the cards with him though.

Would be nice to have some blow outs and use Cano in some low leverage situations. 

It’s tough to do that with Coulombe out though, since he would be your next logical set up guy.

I kind of wish they would just get Wells up here and get him in the pen now. 

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think with a Perez turning it around, the addition of Webb, and hopefully the return of Means, Wells, Columbe, Hall, etc will give the O's a chance to start using Cano in the 6th and other lower pressure situations. I think he's close to getting his groove back.

Perez' turnaround has been pleasantly surprising. A lot of us wanted him gone this spring but he seems to be settling back into the role we need him for down the stretch. The O's could conceivably have 7 bullpen arms (FB, YC, DC, MB, CP, SF, JW) that Hyde could feel confident putting out there in the 8th inning of a close game down the stretch. They'll all have their ups and downs as we've seen with Cano/Fuji but that feels like a very strong group to go into the playoffs with. Wells/Hall/Vespi/Krehbiel are nice depth with some decent upside. 

49 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think with a Perez turning it around, the addition of Webb, and hopefully the return of Means, Wells, Columbe, Hall, etc will give the O's a chance to start using Cano in the 6th and other lower pressure situations. I think he's close to getting his groove back.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Clearly there are a lot if ifs and they could all go the wrong way but assuming they all go the right way and they perform well, adding Means, Wells and Hall to the pen and getting Columbe back healthy could shorten games to 5 innings every night. That would be a crazy good pen.

RHP: Bautista, Baumann,  Wells

LHP: Means, Hall, Columbe, 

Who else do you keep? Do you keep 7 or 8 in the BP?

RHP: Fuji, Webb, Cano

LHP: Perez

Who comes out of the rotation? Performance would say Gibson and Irvin. But do the O's make that decision? I think having Flaherty makes Gibson's removal possible. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Would be nice to have some blow outs and use Cano in some low leverage situations. 

It’s tough to do that with Coulombe out though, since he would be your next logical set up guy.

I kind of wish they would just get Wells up here and get him in the pen now. 

Cano has been a bit better the last few weeks. Six scoreless appearances in August, 5.1 IP, 6 K, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Cano has been a bit better the last few weeks. Six scoreless appearances in August, 5.1 IP, 6 K, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP.

Yea but he let up IR at least once there and has been doing that a lot.

But I agree he’s looking better. I still wouldn’t mind him working a few “easy outings” just to continue to work on keeping the ball down.

Edited by Sports Guy

The starting pitching has been phenomenal.  Webb was an absolute gift from the Angels, who continue to "Angel".  Crazy abundance of wealth considering that we still have Baker, Means, Wells and Hall, that we still have in the mix.  I also think we'll probably see a few names of either impending free agents, or guys that will be out of options next year, hit the waiver wire that will make us think.  

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The starting pitching has been phenomenal.  Webb was an absolute gift from the Angels, who continue to "Angel".  Crazy abundance of wealth considering that we still have Baker, Means, Wells and Hall, that we still have in the mix.  I also think we'll probably see a few names of either impending free agents, or guys that will be out of options next year, hit the waiver wire that will make us think.  

I've never been a big Baker guy. With the exception of a stretch at the end of last year, I feel like I'm always on the edge of my seat when he's in.

But you have to wonder if (hope) that the send to the minors magic that helped with Grayson and Bradish over the last two years somehow helps him harness that electric arm. We'll see. 

I thought I heard Brown say last night that the O's, including this series with SD, have faced 4 of the top 5 staffs in all of baseball this month?  If correct, the O's staff had more than held their own.   For a bunch of no-names and misfits, I don't think we could have asked for anything more out of them.  This is a very entertaining team to watch. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kriehbel and Voth are good enough to pitch on an MLB roster too. I wonder if Tate will be healthy for next season? We could end up trading some bullpen arms this offseason with the depth we have.