Musical Chairs for the O's pitching staff

wildcard

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Tyler Wells is being moved to AAA to work out of the pen.

Not that we didn’t know that but now it’s set in stone.

Saw this as well. He sort of scares me in the pen. His proclivity to give up HRs is much easier dealt with in the first or third innings as opposed to coming in and giving up an HR in the 7th or 8th in a leverage situation.

Just now, Malike said:

Saw this as well. He sort of scares me in the pen. His proclivity to give up HRs is much easier dealt with in the first or third innings as opposed to coming in and giving up an HR in the 7th or 8th in a leverage situation.

But he will miss bats and get Ks in the pen and his command control is great to have. Plus, he can fill so many different roles for you out of the pen.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But he will miss bats and get Ks in the pen and his command control is great to have. Plus, he can fill so many different roles for you out of the pen.

I don't disagree at all, but his HR rate is 2.0 this year and it's 1.6 in his career, he can get burned out there, and that does scare me some.

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't disagree at all, but his HR rate is 2.0 this year and it's 1.6 in his career, he can get burned out there, and that does scare me some.

Don’t disagree. May want to back off using him in high leverage one run situations late in games. Just have to see how he looks. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t disagree. May want to back off using him in high leverage one run situations late in games. Just have to see how he looks. 

Well if the choice is Fujinami or Wells in a high leverage one run game give me Wells. But, I agree is tendency to give up home runs could be an issue with using him out of the bullpen. Wells can be a weapon and he's more deserving of a bullpen spot than at least half of the O's relievers right now.

Webb is the pitcher I want to see tested more in high levergae situations. He might end up being the best pitching pickup Elias made this season.

18 hours ago, Malike said:

Doesn’t bother me.  His overall ability to limit runs is more important to me than how he allows them when he does.  And I think pitching in shorter spurts, he can afford to be a little more careful with his pitches.