Blue Jays Series - Part 4 (O’s lead 8-2)

RavensNOsGuy

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Mea culpa.  It’s still probably dozens.  I’d say the Warehouse is probably way more focused on making sure the team actually makes the playoffs, and maximizes its chances of winning the division title.  The playoff roster decisions probably will be a lot simpler to analyze when there’s a week left in the season than they are right now.  

They 100% have the postseason roster on its mind already. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bradish is a young pitcher clearly figuring out, Flaherty is heading the other direction. I think you are arguing to argue and don't really believe in Flaherty, or perhaps you are related to him.

This has got to be some sort of trolling, no? Guy who has the more extreme opinion calls out the other guy with a more logical thought and says he's arguing to argue.

Guy who has the more extreme opinion also thinks Tyler Wells is somehow above Flaherty on the food chain.

Edited by dzorange
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this is what will happen but Toronto has a good chance. They are only 1 game back of Seattle right now.

Bad news for Toronto is Seattle’s next 11 game are against the WS, KC, Oak and the Mets.  The good news for Tor is that Seattle has a brutal Sept with 20 games vs Cinci, Tex, Hou, LAD and Tampa (last 10 games vs Texas and Houston).

I think Toronto has a pretty good shot, with Seattle playing, Texas and Houston.  Someone has to lose those games.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Cmon  Frobby, million is hyperbole and below you.

The O's should have contingency plans for all of the most likely occurencies

Means returns or doesn't , Wells returns of doesn't, Pitcher X suffers a serious injury, etc.

Somewhere on that list is that pitcher Y is ineffective in September and should be replaced by pitcher Z

I would hope a matrix of less than a million possibilities is being discussed by O's management.

I think you're proving Frobby's point.  We're not even to September yet.  If pitcher Y is ineffective in September then maybe he should be replaced by pitcher Z.  But let's at least see how Y does in the rest of August and part of September first.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

I'm sure you're right.  But that's different than saying they've already decided based on 3 starts that Flaherty won't be on the postseason roster.  

Well of course not.  They traded for him because they believe in his arm for the postseason. That’s just a foolish take but the source of that take isn’t exactly one to take seriously.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well of course not.  They traded for him because they believe in his arm for the postseason. That’s just a foolish take but the source of that take isn’t exactly one to take seriously.

Sure I'm not to be taken seriously, but all I do is stand by my opinions. And my opinion is that Jack Flaherty will not be on the playoff roster.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Flaherty v. Kremer v. Means is a 6-week pitch off to be the SP3.      Tournament, the SP4 role is I believe less prominent than even the 4th or 5th reliever.

In Game 4 of a close series, Hyde I believe will have the bullpen up in the first couple innings if the opener isn't collecting outs efficiently.

I think as long as Tampa is at arm's length, Grayson and Bradish are once a week pitchers indefinitely.      Four good weeks and they can be none a week pitchers, or have planned abbreviated outings.      Barring ineffectiveness, the two lead dogs are clear, whether it is the ALWC or ALDS.      Team Chaos wants the division undecided in Games 161-162, and then deployment gets very interesting.

Gibson was nominally the '22 Phillies SP4 and threw about one inning the whole month.

I don't think it is a lock that Gibson is in the playoff rotation. I hope he isn't. He has some decent starts but overall he isn't very good.  Unless Flaherty has more starts like the last, I think he's in the rotation.

53 minutes ago, dzorange said:

This has got to be some sort of trolling, no? Guy who has the more extreme opinion calls out the other guy with a more logical thought and says he's arguing to argue.

Guy who has the more extreme opinion also thinks Tyler Wells is somehow above Flaherty on the food chain.

One of the most well thought out and insightful post in OH history. Well done!

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sure I'm not to be taken seriously, but all I do is stand by my opinions. And my opinion is that Jack Flaherty will not be on the playoff roster.

But a lot of your opinions aren’t really based on anything factual. 

And Flaherty would have to really be bad not to make the playoff roster and nothing he has done the last few years says that will happen.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

See, I don’t have any problem with you having that opinion.  I just don’t think that opinion should be based on the 7.07 ERA he’s had in three starts, which is almost entirely due to one bad start he made last time out.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

See, I don’t have any problem with you having that opinion.  I just don’t think that opinion should be based on the 7.07 ERA he’s had in three starts, which is almost entirely due to one bad start he made last time out.  

Okay I respect that, I just don't think he has been very good over the past 18 months, and John Means and a rejuvenated Tyler Wells will push him to the curb. We shall see.

19 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't think it is a lock that Gibson is in the playoff rotation. I hope he isn't. He has some decent starts but overall he isn't very good.  Unless Flaherty has more starts like the last, I think he's in the rotation.

But muh fWAR

Okay I respect that, I just don't think he has been very good over the past 18 months, and John Means and a rejuvenated Tyler Wells will push him to the curb. We shall see.

How does Wells' last three MLB starts compare to Flaherty's? Or does using the word "rejuvenated" just negate Wells' past performance?

• Upvote 1

That’s a lot more logical to me.  Honestly, if Wells can return to his first half form and/or Means can return to his 2019-21 form, either couid be a better alternative than Flaherty.  But I have no idea what either will look like when they come back.