Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

The first outing of the play I think has to come during the regular season.

Even if there's only say four chunks of 20 pitches at game intensity before something gives, I'd like evidence the first chunk of 20 pitches in a game is good enough. 

I'd make it a medium to low leverage spot too.    If it occurs during the WAS-BOS homestand, I hope the marketing contract with Hyundai doesn't have anybody feeling boxed in.    Is the lights show appropriate mid-game?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 5:40 PM, Frobby said:

I just wanted to put down some markers for where our bullpen stood prior to Bautista’s injury (including last night for this purpose).

The pen had a 3.55 ERA and had thrown 3.56 innings per game. The team had 67 save opportunities and saved 41, a 61% rate.  Bautista had 33 saves in 39 chances.  The pen had an outstanding 35-16 record.  

We’ll see how it goes from here.  

So, the performance of the bullpen once Bautista went down was virtually unchanged.   They finished with a 3.55 ERA, same as before Bautista got hurt.  They threw 3.55 innings per game, 0.01 below where they were when Bautista got hurt.  They finished with a 61% save rate, same as before Bautista got hurt (49 of 80 opportunities).   The final bullpen record was 45-21 (.682), so they went 10-5 (.667) after Bautista went down.  

Overall, just a great job of stepping up by the other guys once Bautista got hurt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So, the performance of the bullpen once Bautista went down was virtually unchanged.   They finished with a 3.55 ERA, same as before Bautista got hurt.  They threw 3.55 innings per game, 0.01 below where they were when Bautista got hurt.  They finished with a 61% save rate, same as before Bautista got hurt (49 of 80 opportunities).   The final bullpen record was 45-21 (.682), so they went 10-5 (.667) after Bautista went down.  

Overall, just a great job of stepping up by the other guys once Bautista got hurt. 

This is true..if ERA is the only stat you look at.

Just now, Frobby said:

I literally just looked at four different stats.   

Sorry, I missed those stats that virtually mean nothing. 

There is very little importance to any of that. I mean, do you actually believe this pen is as good? Do you feel as good about the pen?

Outside of the walk rate, all your peripheral stats were far worse. No one really stepped up as that go to, slam the door shut guy. 

It’s an enormous drop off.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sorry, I missed those stats that virtually mean nothing. 

There is very little importance to any of that. I mean, do you actually believe this pen is as good? Do you feel as good about the pen?

Outside of the walk rate, all your peripheral stats were far worse. No one really stepped up as that go to, slam the door shut guy. 

It’s an enormous drop off.

There’s always an agenda with you.  I’m not arguing that the bullpen is as good without Bautista as with him.  I was paying a compliment to the rest of the bullpen for stepping up in his absence over the remainder of the regular season.  And clearly, they did.   Some people were worried that there would be a catastrophic drop-off and a huge domino effect, but it didn’t happen.  Here are some individuals who stepped up IMO:

D.L. Hall — threw to a 2.70 ERA in 16.1 IP after Bautista went down.  

Cionel Perez — 2.61 ERA in 10.1 IP

Cole Irvin — 0 ER in 7.2 innings of relief.  I never did understand why he got optioned, which took away one of our few long relief options.  

Tyler Wells - 0 ER in 5 innings over the last 9 days of the season after being activated.   I’ll be very glad to have him in our bullpen in the playoffs.  

Now, am I confident in how our bullpen will do in the playoffs?   I’d put myself somewhere in the middle.  I’m not nearly as confident as I’d be if Bautista was closing out games, but I think our bullpen is competent and that the 5 days off will do them a world of good.  Cano in particular will benefit, and the addition of Wells and one of the other starters will help too.  So, we’ll see how it goes.