Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, Birds08 said:

I base this on nothing but my gut but I don’t think it’s more than a strain of some kind after watching the replay a bunch of times. 

I watched the replay ten times and thought he tore the ACL in his left knee or something, so who the hell knows. 

34 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

I watched the replay ten times and thought he tore the ACL in his left knee or something, so who the hell knows. 

I think the weird landing and body language was just his own natural reaction to feeling something in his arm go wonky. Part surprise, part frustration.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will expect the worst and that Felix is out for the year.   If that turns out to be wrong, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.  

if the season proceeds about as it has, there will be a save opportunity about once every 3 games.  Figure 11 opportunities.  An excellent closer would save 10 of those.  A bad one would save 8.   So, we’re probably talking about 2 wins at stake here.  Obviously those could be the difference between winning the division or not, but not necessarily. 

I think this makes things harder for the team, but not impossible by any stretch.  We’re lucky that we have some extra arms to throw at the problem, or will have them shortly.  

The remaining 11 opportunities in the regular season are one thing since they'll only matter in terms of seeding. The bigger issue is the margin of error in the playoffs. Even if the dropoff between Felix and whoever else is just one game over the course of a playoff run, there's a fair chance that's alone leads to elimination. If that difference is more than one game, which I think is plausible given the competitive nature of playoff games and the frequency with which Felix would be used, then I don't think the team can overcome that.

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Well Hyde said arm discomfort. Not gonna freak out just yet.  Could be several things.  Good thing is the pen behind him looks much deeper than a few weeks ago. 

I think he was clearly over throwing. How many games has he thrown 102 multiple times.

Hopefully it’s an elbow sprain or something like that. Either way he’s going to miss some time. 

Bottom line: No one know how this plays out. 

Our closer by commitee may work out just fine. Or maybe  somebody like Webb will be the guy. I like him over Cano.

But for sure Bautista was in a lot of pain and it doesn't look good for him coming back quickly.

I hate this! Not just for the Orioles but also for Bautista. He was a journeyman before coming to Baltimore and then became the best closer in baseball. He has not yet cashed in on his success and I feel awful for him. The last few days, it’s been about Ohtani potentially losing $100M on his next contract but likely still getting $400M! Bautista is making the league minimum and may have to prove himself all over. Very hard to come back from surgery (if that’s what it is) and still throw 100+ with a biting splitter. Sucks.

The Orioles - while this will impact them, we still have some dominant pieces in the pen. I’ve been cold on Fuji and he needs to step up. Maybe Wells can move back into a closer role with DL Hall helping in late innings. I think we’ll be fine but do worry about late inning playoff games.

Hoping for the best with Felix. Maybe it’s  strain. I just don’t like how he was wiggling his fingers on the right hand after he threw the pitch. It was like he lost feeling in them or something.

• Upvote 3