MOTY  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins Manager of the Year

• Brandon Hyde
    • Bruce Bochy
    • Scott Servais
    • Other (Please Name)

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He also has the additions of Eovoldi, deGrom, and Heaney.  Plus Montgomery and Scherzer at the deadline.  

Look, I am not disagreeing that they have an expensive, improved roster.  But coming into the season, they were not a favorite.  Fangraphs gave them a 37% chance to make the playoffs and a 10% chance to win the division, for example.  So we’ll see where they end up.  If they hold on for a division title and the O’s end up losing theirs to Tampa, I could see the voters going with Boche.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look, I am not disagreeing that they have an expensive, improved roster.  But coming into the season, they were not a favorite.  Fangraphs gave them a 37% chance to make the playoffs and a 10% chance to win the division, for example.  So we’ll see where they end up.  If they hold on for a division title and the O’s end up losing theirs to Tampa, I could see the voters going with Boche.  

That’s definitely fair. 

Offseason
Nate Eovaldi, an April Jacob DeGrom and the Gibson-style pick-up,  Heaney

August
Matt Scherzer, Jordan Montgomery, Aroldis Chapman, Chris Stratton

W/L 

Baltimore
2022   65-59
2023   80-48 (+13 games)

Texas
2022  57-67
2023  72-56 (+13 games)

I really don't call that a "slam dunk".  (Before Texas' 8 game slide I figured it would be Bochy in a slam dunk just because of reputation and they have mostly the same team from last year.).  

Saying reputation may have some merit but if decided today I just don't see the slam dunk. Saying that, I agree with Frobby that we should get through September (Bautista-less) and then see where we are including the mid-season haul.  

Either way, we will agree to disagree (on August 26).  I believe Bochy being MOTY has merit but slam dunk?

It should be Hyde but he should have won it last year. But according to some of what I read on here he’s an idiot who constantly makes terrible choices. I’m confident that if some of the posters on here were in the dugout we’d be 45 games over .500. 

I picked Servais because the media are dildos. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It should be Hyde but he should have won it last year. But according to some of what I read on here he’s an idiot who constantly makes terrible choices. I’m confident that if some of the posters on here were in the dugout we’d be 45 games over .500. 

I picked Servais because the media are dildos. 

They were a playoff team last year, not sure why there is so much love going out West. They won 90 games and are probably only going to win a few more than that this year.

Edited by Malike

• 4 weeks later...

15 game improvement over this point last year.  A .656 record since the break.  Bochy is 30-29 and fighting for a WC.   Give Servais 2nd place for a .607 2nd half.  Cash has won it twice already.   

The way the team fought the last 2 games is a reflection of the manager.  This should be Hyde's year.

Edited by TonySoprano
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

15 game improvement of this point last year.  A .656 record since the break.  Bochy is 30-29 and fighting for a WC.   Give Servais 2nd place for a .607 2nd half.  Cash has won it twice already.   

The way the team fought the last 2 games is a reflection of the manager.  This should be Hyde's year.

Assuming we win the East, he will win in a landslide, and deservedly so.  I don’t want to think about the alternative scenario.