What was our weakness last Wednesday?

Idaho_OriolesFan

Our weakness was that Kyle Gibson happened to have a terrible start and couldn't locate his pitches. He's been hit or miss since the All-Star break. He relies on good command because he doesn't have overwhelming stuff. 

Re: apathy - one thing to know about this Orioles team if you're new is that there is no apathy. That does not exist on this squad. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Our weakness was that Kyle Gibson happened to have a terrible start and couldn't locate his pitches. He's been hit or miss since the All-Star break. He relies on good command because he doesn't have overwhelming stuff. 

Re: apathy - one thing to know about this Orioles team if you're new is that there is no apathy. That does not exist on this squad. 

What's the rest of our pitching rotation look like? Seems I heard the announcers saying we were getting thin. Does it circle back around to our strongest pitchers now or do we still have another questionable starter to get through?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Kyle Gibson deserves a big share of the blame, but getting shut out the last six innings of the game (and just a solo HR in innings 2-9) by Cease and a terrible White Sox bullpen wasn't a great look either.

He's reverting to his career norms of pitching poorly in the 2nd half. Combine this which his age (turns 36 in October!) and he's probably going through some type of dead arm scenario.  I wasnt a fan of the signing because of these reasons. 

8 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

What's the rest of our pitching rotation look like? Seems I heard the announcers saying we were getting thin. Does it circle back around to our strongest pitchers now or do we still have another questionable starter to get through?

Welcome to the board. Are you new to rooting for the O's? 

We currently have a six man rotation. Our top three (Kyle Bradish, Grayson Rodriguez, and Dean Kremer) are all really good and have been pitching well at least since the second half. A

fter that it gets kind of dicey. Gibson (the guy who got shelled by Chicago) just pitched so he will now rest while the rest of the rotation cycles through. After him you've got Cole Irvin, who has been decent but not great, and Jack Flaherty, who probably has the strongest track record of the three but has been pretty bad since we got him in a recent trade. 

Then the wild card is John Means, our best pitcher during the rebuild and owner of our most recent no-hitter. He hasn't pitched this year due to Tommy John surgery, but he just had a shutout start in AAA. He could come back at any time, or not, we don't really know. 

Hope this helps. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

We have a 6 man rotation….3 Good Bradish, Kremer, and Grayson Rodriguez. 3 Suspect to Bad….Gibson, Flaherty, and Irvin.

While Irvin has been pretty good 3 out of 4 the other two have pretty much stunk beyond 1 start each since the break. 

Means is coming, Roch Kubatko says Gibson isn’t going anywhere. So I’d expect one of Flaherty to be the one to go. 

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Welcome to the board. Are you new to rooting for the O's? 

Yeah! Brand new fan and pretty stoked! Grew up an A's fan and kinda cheered the Reds and the Royals over the years. After all the 2020 nonsense I gave up on sports but recently decided it's time to return. O's started showing up on my feed and I resonated with their athleticism and skill (and cool uniforms). I took the plunge a week ago.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

Yeah! Brand new fan and pretty stoked! Grew up an A's fan and kinda cheered the Reds and the Royals over the years. After all the 2020 nonsense I gave up on sports but recently decided it's time to return. O's started showing up on my feed and I resonated with their athleticism and skill (and cool uniforms). I took the plunge a week ago.

Not sure what you mean about 2020 nonsense. If it is referencing something political that is against board rules. Otherwise, you've come to a good place. We have an exciting young team and the best fans.