Rays series

Sports Guy

Just now, baltfan said:

Kjerstad should get a start tomorrow.  This lineup needs a jolt.  He can’t be worse than what they have been running out there. 

Hyde needs to sit AR or move him down the order. If he's back in the same spot tomorrow, that tells me that Hyde is tone deaf. A big part of the job of a manager is to shake things up when the team is slumping.

24 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The bottom line is we are playing 5 guys in our lineup every night who were discarded by other teams and who would  not start on the other major contenders.

You can't win  a WS that way, especially with average pitching.  People can talk about our farm system all they want to but there are really only 2 players making a difference.....and that is GH and maybeeeeeeeeeeeeee AR.  Who has sucked lately.   I mean.....this is the 2014 team all over again.   Farm system?  We aren't using it.  And we probably shouldn't.  It is too early.

What are you talking about? Who are the 5 guys that were “discarded?” Why does it matter if some other team gave up on a player if they are performing well here and now? 

12 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Hyde needs to sit AR or move him down the order. If he's back in the same spot tomorrow, that tells me that Hyde is tone deaf. A big part of the job of a manager is to shake things up when the team is slumping.

Is the team slumping? I’m counting 6.4 runs per game over the last 10. Seems pretty good to me.

I’d say a big part of the managers job is to not give in to knee-jerk reactions and instead provide a steady hand throughout the year.

19 minutes ago, survivedc said:

What are you talking about? Who are the 5 guys that were “discarded?” Why does it matter if some other team gave up on a player if they are performing well here and now? 

McCann

Frazier

Mateo

O Hearn

Urias

Hicks

Vavra

McKenna

To name a few.  None of these guys are impact difference makers.  O Hearn perhaps this year is playing above average but other than that???

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

36 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

McCann

Frazier

Mateo

O Hearn

Urias

Hicks

Vavra

McKenna

To name a few.  None of these guys are impact difference makers.  O Hearn perhaps this year is playing above average but other than that???

You listed 2 guys that aren’t on the team,  and a collection of guys that are splitting time in the starting lineup or are full on backups. Would it be nice to have an all star at every position? Sure. Has this team, with all of its non “difference makers” had the best season in the AL so far?

54 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Is the team slumping? I’m counting 6.4 runs per game over the last 10. Seems pretty good to me.

I’d say a big part of the managers job is to not give in to knee-jerk reactions and instead provide a steady hand throughout the year.

Losing 4 out of 5 is the definition of slumping. AR batting .218 over the past 15 days, .192 over the past 7 is the definition of slumping.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The bottom line is we are playing 5 guys in our lineup every night who were discarded by other teams and who would  not start on the other major contenders.

You can't win  a WS that way, especially with average pitching.  People can talk about our farm system all they want to but there are really only 2 players making a difference.....and that is GH and maybeeeeeeeeeeeeee AR.  Who has sucked lately.   I mean.....this is the 2014 team all over again.   Farm system?  We aren't using it.  And we probably shouldn't.  It is too early.

People say stuff like this a lot, about what other contenders wouldn't dare to do, and it's almost always wrong. Every player that's currently getting significant starts for the Orioles would also be getting starts on several of the other contenders. In fact, one of the strengths of this year's team has been the ability to plug every hole with fairly solid performance, instead of suffering the sort of black holes that many teams do face. And if we were rolling out a more severe weak spot or two in the lineup, that's pretty normal even on contending teams.

As for only two players from the farm system making a difference, how do you define making a difference? Do you mean making a difference in the last five days? Have Rodriguez and Bradish been making a difference lately? Has Bautista made a difference this year?  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yes but Hicks had walked in the inning .. Frazier too was wildly swinging at first two .. just putting no pressure on Civale who does poorly in 5th and longer by having any patient at bats.. and Adley was trying to hit the ball to Dundalk … again .. 

Adley was tired of reading about his low EV on OH.

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Bradish retired 12 of the 13 hitters before the homer with just a single and only 90 pitches there was no reason to take him out.  

I was literally sitting in the stands before that happened thinking to myself, "Bradish is dealing." I was even about to post that in the game thread. And then the home run happened. :(

Both teams are really having a great year with both getting close or above 100 wins. Orioles playing really good ball all year. The Rays still winning after losing four starters and arguably their best position player, perhaps forever. Both really nice stories but I am sure the networks would rather have the Red Sox or Yankees in the playoffs.