Os making executive moves

Sports Guy

I have been noticing a lot since it was brought up the no selling of 2024 tickets.    Sure they are selling the "Birdland membership" as I guess an MLB seat license equivalent to try and capitalize some on the moment's enthusiasm.

It just feels like any other Club with the opportunity to do so could be selling a big bunch of tickets right now.

That energy still seems to be going towards maximizing what the Club can realize from Maryland's taxpayers vs. getting the lease done and on to the more wholesome business of accessing revenue from Maryland and the region's baseball fans is a bummer.

• Upvote 1

Here's his background.   https://lgwdc.org/people/kerry-watson

It's all in government affairs and lobbying. He has no baseball background (though I guess you could say that baseball and gambling are in the process of becoming the same business).

I don't have any idea what a government relations/lobbying guy for the Orioles would do, other than wrangle with the stadium authority over the stadium lease and the conjoined (in John Angelos's confused brain) issue of state funding for an AngelosTown development area. Once a lease extension is signed, what does this guy do? I wouldn't think it's legally proper for the Orioles to pay the salary of a guy whose main task is try to extort (I mean obtain) money from the state, and deal with state agencies on the funding, demolition and construction that might follow, for a real estate project because that project is important to the team's CEO.  

https://lgwdc.org/people/kerry-watson

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Dumb question, but does it matter what the baseball people's titles are? Would their job descriptions change at all? 

The one silver lining I can see here is that it seems even more clear of a signal that they just need to finish dotting the i's on the lease agreement. 

In my corporate experience, an EVP has a lot more juice than a SVP. I assume it's the same here.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Dumb question, but does it matter what the baseball people's titles are? Would their job descriptions change at all? 

The one silver lining I can see here is that it seems even more clear of a signal that they just need to finish dotting the i's on the lease agreement. 

Not a dumb question.  Elias very well might feel that so long as the money and other terms are to his liking, and he gets the final say in Bsseball Operations, he doesn’t care if his title is President vs. Executuve Vice President.  Around the league, the title of the senior person is not always consistent, nor is the number of layers.   On the other hand, the way that titles are doled out could be somewhat reflective of power within the organization.  

16 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's his background.   https://lgwdc.org/people/kerry-watson

It's all in government affairs and lobbying. He has no baseball background (though I guess you could say that baseball and gambling are in the process of becoming the same business).

I don't have any idea what a government relations/lobbying guy for the Orioles would do, other than wrangle with the stadium authority over the stadium lease and the conjoined (in John Angelos's confused brain) issue of state funding for an AngelosTown development area. Once a lease extension is signed, what does this guy do? I wouldn't think it's legally proper for the Orioles to pay the salary of a guy whose main task is try to extort (I mean obtain) money from the state, and deal with state agencies on the funding, demolition and construction that might follow, for a real estate project because that project is important to the team's CEO.  

https://lgwdc.org/people/kerry-watson

Give him a big bonus and he goes onto the next thing.  WWE did exactly that with their CFO Frank Riddick III just now after their sale and merger into Endeavor with UFC.  Pretty sure they hired Riddick knowing a sale was happening, and his job was to clean up the books and make sure things were tight.  

3 hours ago, gamiliel said:

I would not assume anything "normal" with Angelos.

Here’s the updated “senior leadership team” per the Orioles’ website:

Chairman and CEO: John Angelos

Executive Vice President and General Manager: Mike Elias

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer:Greg Bader

Executive Vice President, Public Affairs: Kerry Watson

Senior Vice President, Chief Revenue Officer: T.J. Brightman

Senior Vice President, Community Development & Communications: Jennifer Grondahl

Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer: Michael D. Hoppes, CPA

Senior Vice President, Chief Content Officer: Cal Perry

Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer: Lisa Tolson PHR, SHRM-CP

So, it’s pretty clear that the general rule that EVP > Sr. VP holds.  

What’s new here that wasn’t apparent from yesterday’s report is that Bader is now EVP and COO (I’d thought it was just COO).   Normally I’d say COO > EVP, but here it’s clear that Bader doesn’t outrank Elias despite the COO title.  I’m guessing that all the Sr. VP’s listed report to Bader, and Watson is sort of doing his own thing, reporting directly to Angelos but without a big staff below him.  

Edited by Frobby

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the updated “senior leadership team” per the Orioles’ website:

Chairman and CEO: John Angelos

Executive Vice President and General Manager: Mike Elias

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer:Greg Bader

Executive Vice President, Public Affairs: Kerry Watson

Senior Vice President, Chief Revenue Officer: T.J. Brightman

Senior Vice President, Community Development & Communications: Jennifer Grondahl

Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer: Michael D. Hoppes, CPA

Senior Vice President, Chief Content Officer: Cal Perry

Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer: Lisa Tolson PHR, SHRM-CP

So, it’s pretty clear that the general rule that EVP > Sr. VP holds.  

What’s new here that wasn’t apparent from yesterday’s report is that Bader is now EVP and COO (I’d thought it was just COO).   Normally I’d say COO > EVP, but here it’s clear that Bader doesn’t outrank Elias despite the COO title.  I’m guessing that all the Sr. VP’s listed report to Bader, and Watson is sort of doing his own thing, reporting directly to Angelos but without a big staff below him.  

Where is Sig Mejdal on that list?