Friday, September 22: Orioles face Guardians and Shane Bieber (just off the IL)

SteveA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Gunnar’s fWAR is 4.7. It was 4.7 for all of 2023. Hes a top 3 player in the game right now.
    • Irvin, Kremer, and maybe Povich are all capable of Game 3. You’re overstating what is necessary for postseason success. It doesn’t have to be a fool proof team. This offense is capable of carrying a league average #3 SP. 
    • Here are some June numbers as of the day off: Hays 1.227 OPS Santander 1.074, 12 R, 8 HR 14 RBI Henderson 1.021, 14 R O’Hearn .906 Urias .837 Rutschman .809, 4 HR 16 RBI Westburg.765 Mountcastle .743, 10 R, 5 HR, 12 RBI Cowser .697 Stowers .588 Mullins .587 Mateo .520 Overall, the team has an .832 OPS in June and is averaging 5.56 runs per game, while allowing 2.88 runs per game.   That’ll work.
    • His sprint speed is in the 88th percentile.
    • Was he favoring his right elbow, as well?
    • I can't say what Elias will do. Because I have no way of knowing that. I have no inside knowledge. I'm just a fan like everybody else. What I can and will say is that he should be exploring every way to meaningful upgrade the roster where it is weakest, which is the pitching staff. I understand not wanting to trade Holliday (and he should not IMO). Holliday's value, while still very high, is probably not as high it was before the season started. But as far as the other two are concerned. An argument can be made that they are redundant pieces. One of them can be made expendable through a Santander (very affordable) extension.  Now, what I will say, is that I don't think that it is the best strategy long term to hoard position player prospects (especially those who are redundant no matter how talented) at the sake of not having comparable talent on the pitching side. That has us with a prime aged Kjerstad wasting a season at AAA (while destroying the baseball) because there is literally no place to play him. I see it as taking on unnecessary risks to replace Santander and/or O'Hearn/Mountcastle when they are affordable and productive Major League players. Yes it is possible all of our prospects out hit/out produce them. But it is also possible that all do not. Replacing them all may lead to an unforced error in betting on the future. IMO it doesn't have to be a binary choice of either/or with productive vets vs uber talented young prospects. We can have our cake and eat it to by taking a both/and approach. We will still have TWO uber talented prospects next year in Holliday and one of Mayo/Basallo while having Santander (extended) AND O'Hearn (on a team option at a very affordable contract) AND a difference making pitcher (to help soften the blow/loss of Bradish). Yes this requires a little spending (which I acknowledge some posters hate the idea of that). But again it comes down to expectations and the bar that the org sets. If we want to be the next Astros (multi-World Series winners) it's not going to solely be about our front office and scouting talent, and trying to always be the smartest guys in the room. Sometimes the ownership has to do their part and invest in the known quotient/reliable talent that can keep your odds as high as possible because you can go toe-to-toe/bullet-for-bullet with anyone. 
    • Do players really have that much control of direction? I definitely think there's a major variance factor in that. 
  • Popular Contributors