Feeling Nostalgic about the 70's

Sanity Check

4 hours ago, Osornot said:

Growing up in Rochester I didn't get the Sun but followed the O's, my favorite team, having seen many of the team coming through the Rochester Red Wings.  Of course, back then, there was that annual O's visit that you could not miss.  

I forgot the West Coast games.  They rarely made it to the paper at all. I was annoyed with only the first few innings being in there but never remember it being some big tragic situation as I could imagine a few minutes would be these days, but I digress.

Baseball probably helped me more with math than many classes. My skills from spending hours with stats still serve me well decades later.

Thanks for sharing!

My dad is from Rochester and that’s how me and my brothers started following the Orioles. The ‘70 series against the Reds is etched in my memory. In those days there World Series was played at day time and pops let me miss school to watch a game. He wrote a note for me to take to the nuns the next day explaining I needed to experience the great American cultural pastime of baseball. Needless to say, they weren’t having any.

Edited by Il BuonO
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How about some love for Baseball Weekly from the early 90's?

I was a contractor working for DFAS in '99 and I got put on probation for having Baseball Weekly on my desk the 2nd week I was there. I only worked there 3 more weeks before my company found somewhere better.

I was batboy for the 70-71-Oriole teams...thats pretty awesome to remember...I actually owned ONE of Brooks Robinson's sawed off batting helmets(the bill was cut down so Brooks could see better)...the other helmet is in the HOF...but my nephew actually left the helmet I owned in the rain...and his mother threw it out in 1975....I  still cant forgive her for that...

• Upvote 2

I was living in AZ at the time  I was 10 years old in 1971 and had a paper route.  First thing in the morning I would open up one of the papers to get the scores from the previous day.  Day got off to a good start if the O's won

In middle and high school, I would go to the library during lunch or off period and study the Sporting News which had all the box scores.  Great days.

• Like 1

And being out of state, i would see very few Oriole games on TV during the year. If they were on the Saturday game of the week with Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek, that was great.  Very rare though.  Same with Monday night baseball, although i do remember the Royals Monday night game in 1976 with Reggie Jackon.  

And then watching in the playoffs was also a challenge as the games were on in the day and if you were in school, tough luck.  I do remember faking being sick and staying home to watch the O's and the A's in either 1973 or 1974.  Talk about monster teams.

The only time i could listen to the O's on the radio was when they played the Angels.  I could pick up the game when it was light out, but when it got dark it was much harder to get.  But what a treat to be able to listen!!  Hard to understand in this day and age.

Edited by ChangeRoadUnis

I am so thrilled that this season has elicited so many memories of great Oriole teams.  I wish we could all be more appreciative of what is happening now.  

I get that when starters fail to give us a chance or the bull pen wastes a good start, or the offense goes silent, we naturally fret the outcome.  This has been a nerve wracking season for all of us not just those that continue to see this as a third rate team.

This has been one of the most exciting and enjoyable seasons for me.  It brings back so many memories of the days when we were always good even if not always good enough.

In many ways, I don't care how far they go.  And of course in others I am so ready for 40 years of dryness to end.  But in the words of Eddie Murray....It's great to be young and a Baltimore Oriole.

Aint the beer cold boys?

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think they usually did, yes.

While I do fondly remember reading the paper and the Sporting News and the Baseball Weekly, if you told the 12-year-old version of myself that in 2023 I'd have access to every single MLB box score from 1901 to today, along with a much more comprehensive version of the Baseball Encyclopedia, on my computer, to be pulled up in an instant whenever I wanted I'd have thought that was some kind of miracle from the Gods.

I’m a dude who currently watches 10 games simultaneously on his phone. If you had told the 1998 version of myself that the internet would lead to the death of local journalism, and the brain death of sports journalism, I would have called you a Luddite crank. But the box score and racing form paid for the sports page, and I think the sports page was the underestimated glue that held everything together.

Edited by Chavez Ravine

My most vivid memory of the Orioles during that time was listening to the games on A.M. radio at night since there was no way to watch them where I live in southern Virginia. The broadcast would go in and out and it never failed when Chuck Thompson would say, "It's a long fly ball, deep to centerfield, it's at the warning track, it's at the wall..."and his voice would tail off before I could tell what happened.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Osornot said:

Growing up in Rochester I didn't get the Sun but followed the O's, my favorite team, having seen many of the team coming through the Rochester Red Wings.  Of course, back then, there was that annual O's visit that you could not miss.  

I forgot the West Coast games.  They rarely made it to the paper at all. I was annoyed with only the first few innings being in there but never remember it being some big tragic situation as I could imagine a few minutes would be these days, but I digress.

Baseball probably helped me more with math than many classes. My skills from spending hours with stats still serve me well decades later.

Thanks for sharing!

There are LOTS of O’s fans still around Rochester. My wife is from there and we visit 3-4 times a year. I always wear my O’s gear and ALWAYS have older folks tell me they’re O’s fans and want to talk baseball. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Let me first apologize to those not old enough to have experienced the following experiences from the 70's, since these might only apply to those of us who are 50+......did anyone else on here enjoy these??

1. The Oriole bird comic drawings on the front page of the Sunpaper the morning after every game, capturing the result of the game and either showing the cartoon Bird beating up the other team, or getting somehow destroyed by them depending on the outcome of the previous day's game.

2. The line scores on the front page of sports section the morning after a west coast game, where the first 4 or 5 innings were in Sunpaper print font, and the last few innings and game totals were literally written in before the paper was printed.

3. The weekly Sporting News Magazine filled with box scores from the entire week.  I'm an accountant. in real life.....and back then, I lived for that stuff.

4. The Baseball crossword puzzles in the Baseball Digest......

Anyone remember those days??  Any others people would like to add??? 

Baseball Cards...especially the first packs of the season

Saturday Game of the Week...Monday night Baseball

Listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon to get the Orioles score!

• Upvote 1

One of my prize possessions is a ball that was signed personally to me by the 1971 Orioles’ four 20-game winners, signed in the last week of that season in a series in Cleveland where two of the four pitchers won their 20th game.  I had a distant relative who was head of concessions at Cleveland Municipal Stadium who got the pitchers to sign it for me.  I didn’t know enough to take steps to protect the signatures from sunlight, etc., so the signatures are somewhat faded, but still legible.  Probably not too valuable due to the fading, but priceless to me!

• Upvote 4