Manfred on Os moving (spoiler, it ain’t happening)

Sports Guy

45 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You don't think he could make the most money through a sale of the team? Maybe that's just me "pipedreaming" lol

The conventional wisdom is that the Angelos family will not sell the team as long until Peter Angelos has passed away, especially for tax reasons but likely other reasons too.  

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

Thanks Tony, I am not going away.  I love the Hangout too much.  I am just saying we have everything we always wanted for this franchise and I am very content.   

Let’s see how it feels if Elias leaves for a better gig and there are no extensions of Adley, Gunnar, Grayson and how content one might be.  Much less if JA somehow is successful in moving them to Nashville.  This franchise would have won much more over last 30 years except for Angelos owning them. 

22 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

The conventional wisdom is that the Angelos family will not sell the team as long until Peter Angelos has passed away, especially for tax reasons but likely other reasons too.  

New ownership of the franchise whether it is Georgia or John must be approved by 50 percent of owners and the Commissioner of baseball. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

You don't think he could make the most money through a sale of the team? Maybe that's just me "pipedreaming" lol

I'm not pipe dreaming....of course the most profitable way is to sell the team.  But selling a team that is one of the best, youngest and cheapest in one of the greatest parks in MLB history is pretty special.  I think JA may continue to annoy fans, but he isn't gonna kill the fatted calf so to speak.

Just now, tntoriole said:

New ownership of the franchise whether it is Georgia or John must be approved by 50 percent of owners and the Commissioner of baseball. 

I wonder if it would even be “new ownership.”  The owner of the Orioles is the Baltimore Orioles Limited Partbership.   While it’s always been reported that Peter Angelos is the majority owner of that entity, it could well be that it’s jointly owned by Peter and Georgia, and that “Peter owns it” is just shorthand since he was the person running things.  I’m not saying that’s definitely the case, but it would be far from surprising if it was.  And in that case, Peter’s death does not result in a change of ownership.  As to who controls it, MLB already approved John Angelos as the person with authority to make decisions for the Orioles.  

2 hours ago, Daddy-O's said:

Thanks Tony, I am not going away.  I love the Hangout too much.  I am just saying we have everything we always wanted for this franchise and I am very content.   

Just wait until Adley and Gunnar file for free agency or are trade in 3-4 years.

Edited by Roll Tide

59 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I can't agree that JA is as bad as his father in the things he does -- at least not yet.  Yes, he opens his mouth and says stupid things, which he needs to stop doing.  But Peter A's worst quality is that he is a meddler (or was a meddler).  As long as JA does not meddle -- which he could end up doing -- he's a good distance better than PA and gives a chance for this team to win for several years.

At least Peter spent money during the Buck years. After what John has alluded, a chance at being around the middle in terms of payroll are a pipe dream…despite the club having done it in the recent past. And honestly, not to speculate too much but it’s more like John hasn’t meddled yet. Just give it time and when it’s time to make a big move (whatever that means with John clutching the checkbook), I’d bet that John will have a hand in it and it probably won’t be good. Though you’re right, he has hasn’t meddled…yet. 

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Just wait until Adley and Gunnar file for free agency or are trade in 3-4 years.

I fully expect both of them to be traded, but not because of John Angelos.  Adley will be past his prime years for a catcher when he is eligible for free agency and I do not think they will want to pay him what he can get on the open market.  Just maybe we will have another younger stud catcher coming thru the system.  Gunnar is going to be smack dap in his prime when he hits free agency and I don't think they will have the stomach for what he will command, so a trade for a big haul would make sense.  Not at the trade deadline of his last year.   This is the reality of a small market team competing, it will always be about cheap young controllable players.  Keep feeding the pipeline.

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

Gotcha. I was more speaking to the poster saying that John Angelos could make the most money keeping the team good. I was asking if he could make more if he sold the team instead.

I don't think Elias is going anywhere. I assume he knows the man he's working for and how they plan to operate. I remember an old tweet from Dec '22 that I need to dig up on why they weren't spending money this offseason which is one of the main reasons I thought this was going to be the *development* year, and it turned out the team surprised everyone. Us included.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if it would even be “new ownership.”  The owner of the Orioles is the Baltimore Orioles Limited Partbership.   While it’s always been reported that Peter Angelos is the majority owner of that entity, it could well be that it’s jointly owned by Peter and Georgia, and that “Peter owns it” is just shorthand since he was the person running things.  I’m not saying that’s definitely the case, but it would be far from surprising if it was.  And in that case, Peter’s death does not result in a change of ownership.  As to who controls it, MLB already approved John Angelos as the person with authority to make decisions for the Orioles.  

Apparently new ownership that is not inherited requires 75 percent approval but  nepotism inherited transfers require only 50 percent lol 

If Georgia is already listed then obviously not, but when she passes then John is not automatically approved as owner despite being what he is now which is the authorized representative of the owner or what officially was approved by 3/4 of owners as the “control person” for the organization in Peter’s absence .. NOT the owner 

I don’t think that it would come to MLB not approving either Georgia or JA and forcing a sale in this fashion EXCEPT if JA continues to do anything to actively try to move the franchise, then I think this is a veiled discouragement to even thinking about it 

Edited by tntoriole

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Apparently new ownership that is not inherited requires 75 percent approval but  nepotism inherited transfers require only 50 percent lol 

If Georgia is already listed then obviously not, but when she passes then John is not automatically approved as owner despite being what he is now which is the authorized representative of the owner 

She's only 80, it's conceivable that she can own the team which will be run dry by John for more than a decade.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

She's only 80, it's conceivable that she can own the team which will be run dry by John for more than a decade.

True , unless say she and John had a falling out .. not that it ever happens in families about money 

Edited by tntoriole

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

If Georgia is already listed then obviously not, but when she passes then John is not automatically approved as owner despite being what he is now which is the authorized representative of the owner or what officially was approved by 3/4 of owners as the “control person” for the organization in Peter’s absence .. NOT the owner 

I don’t think that it would come to MLB not approving either Georgia or JA and forcing a sale in this fashion EXCEPT if JA continues to do anything to actively try to move the franchise, then I think this is a veiled discouragement to even thinking about it 

She isn’t if this is accurate 

https://teammarketing.com/profiles/baltimore-orioles/