Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

32 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Go get Alonso.

Hall and Wells in the bullpen

Get a number 2/3 starter. 

Pray that Jackson Holliday is Bo Bichette. 

Trade Mullins/Cowser for Luis Robert

Pray Coby Mayo is ready in July. 

That Luis Robert trade would be exciting

It is all still a little too fresh for me.  
Plenty to digest as I sure Elias et al are doing already. 
Part of me thinks however that the offseason will be the same as always.  No big names, no expensive free agents, no major trades .. they will sign guys that are cheap and maybe fixable. 

Sign or trade for a quality closer but don't sign any other free agent relievers from outside the organization.  Relief pitchers are the most volatile players in baseball from year to year.   Coulombe, Perez, Hall, Wells and Cano are a decent supporting cast on paper; some of them may not be effective next year, but wait to see what you need and go get it at the trade deadline.

I look forward to seeing more young talent next year, but I do think they need to get one proven high quality bat.  The O's frankly don't have anyone as scary as Corey Seager in the lineup.  That hitter might eventually develop from within, but you can't count on that.  They need a superstar to anchor the lineup, someone who has a reasonable chance of putting up a .900-1.000 OPS.  

I actually feel better about the starting rotation than the lineup for next year, at least in terms of front-line talent.  I think Bradish-GRod-Means is as good as any team's big three going forward.  

Go get Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Blake Snell -- seriously!  I know I'm probably dreaming, but what more proof does a 101 win team need, after flaming out in the post season, that top pitchers are needed to get this team a World Series?

We're pretty sure we got a lot of great bats coming up from the minors.  Pitching?  Hopefully but not quite as sure.  I say go as big as possible in trying to get one to two top free agent starters and a free agent reliever -- or get them via a trade.  If not Yamamoto or Snell then get an Eduardo Rodriguez, Jordan Montgomery or Aaron Nola or...  Pitching, pitching, pitching! 

You never know who could regress or get hurt.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Go get Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Blake Snell -- seriously!  I know I'm probably dreaming, but what more proof does a 101 win team need, after flaming out in the post season, that top pitchers are needed to get this team a World Series?

The 1971 Orioles won 101 games in the regular season, had four 20-game winners on its staff, and still didn’t win the World Series.   So, you just never know what it will take.   One thing for sure, it requires a team to be playing its best baseball at the exact right time.  

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

We're pretty sure we got a lot of great bats coming up from the minors.  Pitching?  Hopefully but not quite as sure.  I say go as big as possible in trying to get one to two top free agent starters and a free agent reliever -- or get them via a trade.  If not Yamamoto or Snell then get an Eduardo Rodriguez, Jordan Montgomery or Aaron Nola or...  Pitching, pitching, pitching! 

You never know who could regress or get hurt.

Sure. And... you never know what mediocre pitcher (seriously, Andrew Heaney, Dane Dunning?) is going to beat you on any given day in October. 

- Need at least 1 more TOR arm

- Need at least 1 900+ OPS bat via trade or FA (even a JD Martinez type)

- Add a closer fill in for 2024

- Trade Hays for pitching prospects (no one in minors outside of Povich)

- Replace Frazier with Ortiz

- Find spots for Kjerstaad and Holliday on OD roster

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

The 1971 Orioles won 101 games in the regular season, had four 20-game winners on its staff, and still didn’t win the World Series.   So, you just never know what it will take.   One thing for sure, it requires a team to be playing its best baseball at the exact right time.  

Well, no one will ever have four 20 game winners again, but I do think the O's need both more talent and more experience in the rotation to give them a better shot in the postseason.  Yamamoto has no MLB experience, but look at his numbers from Japan and it's clear he's a beast -- and he's only 25.  I'm scared the Yankees, Red Sox or Blue Jays will get him.  Somebody like Snell or one of the other free agents brings experience and talent.  

Free agents are always a risk, but we are not a pitching factory like the Rays or Dodgers.  Not getting any good free agent pitchers is a risk.  Of course a trade or two could be made, though trade partners will want some bats -- probably Kjerstad, Mayo, Cowser, Ortiz, etc -- we don't want to trade.  

7 minutes ago, now said:

Sure. And... you never know what mediocre pitcher (seriously, Andrew Heaney, Dane Dunning?) is going to beat you on any given day in October. 

Until Sunday the O's had not hit well for a few weeks -- and honestly they were never one of the top hitting teams all year -- except in clutch situations.  The prodigious bats coming up from the minors should be hitting the Andrew Heaneys and Dane Dunnings of the world harder next year and beyond.  We'll see next season what Holliday and the others coming up will be giving us.

11 minutes ago, method man said:

- Need at least 1 more TOR arm

- Need at least 1 900+ OPS bat via trade or FA (even a JD Martinez type)

- Add a closer fill in for 2024

- Trade Hays for pitching prospects (no one in minors outside of Povich)

- Replace Frazier with Ortiz

- Find spots for Kjerstaad and Holliday on OD roster

Sounds about right though I'd argue we need more than one new arm in the rotation.  We don't know how many innings Means will give us, Grayson may hit some more bumps, for now Kremer looks like a #5, Wells is probably better as a reliever/spot starter -- plus we need to replace Gibson and Flaherty.  

I agree we need a big new FA bat, and it should be an outfield bat.  Hicks is likely gone, Santander/Hays could get traded, and fingers crossed Mullins will start hitting again.  Of the young guys only Kjerstad has shown his bat is ready for the majors right now, but is he an outfielder?  We don't need any more 1B/DH types (unless maybe Mountcastle or O'Hearn is traded -- though that seems a bit unlikely).

Doubt we resign any of our FA's

We need a right handed power arm in the BP but other than that well probably run it back with what we have plus Tate.

They'll probably add another Gibson type (maybe a slight upgrade) or just resign him. They'll justify it having Means back for the whole season and Wells in the BP as a backup. I just don't see us spending big this off season.

Figure out the OF.. We'll need to move on soon from Mullins, Hays and Santander due to $$. I can see them moving Santander this off season.. maybe him and another one of Hays and Mullins. May as well see what we have in house and add a few more prospects via trade. Gotta get Kjerstad/Cowser in the lineup with full time ABs soon. Those kids are gonna be special.

I think we'll probably not do much in the IF other than wait on Holliday to arrive and plug him in. We seem pretty set there and having Urias and Mateo coming off the bench is ideal defensively. Wish one of them could hit a bit better but then they'd probably be starting somewhere.

I really feel like we need at least 2 of Adley, Gunnar and Westburg to take the next step and Grayrod as well

With any trades we propose I feel like we should be targeting starting pitching prospects or maybe in the right deal a you get a young 2/3 MLB starter that we control for 2 yrs plus but the $$$ may be too much there

Wish we weren't so poor

• Upvote 1

I think we need to move Hays, Mullins, Urias, Mateo, Frazier, and Hicks.  From the little I've seen of them, I don't think Cowser or Westburg are going to provide enough pop with the bat.  We need production from center field, left field, and especially third base.   If we move Henderson to SS, we need some offense at those 3 positions. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

They traded Frank.

7 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Don’t add anyone and try to pay off majority of Chris Davis and Cobb this off-season. Add to payroll next offseason.

It doesn’t work that way and the little bit of money they are owed over the next several years has zero impact on anything.

Edited by Sports Guy