Adley’s Conditioning

Buntingdownfourruns

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think Adley was fine and we are lucky to have him.  Great leader and teammate.

That being said, being the nature of the position in general?  I don't really think any catcher is worth the first pick in the draft.  The position is too taxing on the body and mind and because of that IMO it really makes a lot of catchers all about the same.  They just kind of morph into the same quality of player. 

If you think Adley looks the same as your typical MLB catcher I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason the Orioles became an above .500 team right when Adley joined the Orioles. An .800 OPS catcher who is good behind the plate is a rare find.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If you think Adley looks the same as your typical MLB catcher I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason the Orioles became an above .500 team right when Adley joined the Orioles. An .800 OPS catcher who is good behind the plate is a rare find.

Did I mention AR as a great leader and teammate? I think I did. :)

As far as pure athleticism and someone that is going to carry you for 5-7 years?  No.  I don't think any catcher is worth being the #1 pick in the draft.   Because as I said, due to the demands of the position, both physically and mentally, it morphs almost all elite catchers into the same type of player.  Good to very good.

Not elite.

Do 99% of catchers have elite athleticism like a Gunner or a Alex R or  Trout or a Ohtani and many others?  Not even close. 

I am sorry if you don't see that but that is the reality of the position.  Growing up I played baseball all the way from a 4 year old at T ball to college ball.  My dad played in the Tigers farm system and coached at a MAC school.  Never was the best athlete put at catcher.  It was always the runt...for lack of a better word. 

Why?  Because the position was so demanding physically that you just want a grunt there.  Not your elites.

Think of it like the NFL.  Do I want an Aidan Hutchinson at #1 and 1?  Who is an elite athlete like GR?  Or a Zaire Franklin at #1? A great leader but an average athlete.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Did I mention AR as a great leader and teammate? I think I did. :)

As far as pure athleticism and someone that is going to carry you for 5-7 years?  No.  I don't think any catcher is worth being the #1 pick in the draft.   Because as I said, due to the demands of the position, both physically and mentally, it morphs almost all elite catchers into the same type of player.  Good to very good.

But do they have elite athleticism like a Gunner or a Alex R or  Trout or a Ohtani and many others?  Not even close. 

I am sorry if you don't see that but that is the reality of the position.  Growing up I played baseball all the way from a 4 year old at T ball to college ball.  My dad played in the Tigers farm system and coached at a MAC school.  Never was the best athlete put at catcher.  It was always the runt...for lack of a better word. 

Why?  Because the position was so demanding physically that you just want a grunt there.  Not your elites.

Think of it like the NFL.  Do I want an Aidan Hutchinson at #1 and 1?  Who is an elite athlete like GR?  Or a Zaire Franklin at #1? A great leader but an average athlete.

Pretty sure you've said something like this before and I'm also pretty sure I told you that Adley was a Division 1A Football player.

I'm going to stick with the idea that you have to be a pretty special athlete to be both an All-Star MLB player and a division 1A football player.

Do I need to post the video of him getting the tackle on Christian McCaffrey again?

I'll do it.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

FwqdzWwX0AEZOle.jpg

Not sure why I am having issues with posting on these pics.

Anyway.....he looks exactly like a good to solid athlete in these pics.  Not elite.  He is square and chunks and strong looking, like a good catcher should be.

Not lean and strong like an elite all around athlete. 

This is why I say don't draft a catcher 1-1.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Not sure why I am having issues with posting on these pics.

Anyway.....he looks exactly like a good to solid athlete in these pics.  Not elite.  He is square and chunks and strong looking, like a good catcher should be.

Not lean and strong like an elite all around athlete. 

This is why I say don't draft a catcher 1-1.

Oh, like Giancarlo Stanton?

He looks like an Elite all around athlete.

He also runs like a Molina.

11 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think Adley was fine and we are lucky to have him.  Great leader and teammate.

That being said, being the nature of the position in general?  I don't really think any catcher is worth the first pick in the draft.  The position is too taxing on the body and mind and because of that IMO it really makes a lot of catchers all about the same.  They just kind of morph into the same quality of player. 

Ok then let's hope AR morphs into Johnny Bench....lol..You always take the best Baseball player at 1.1 especially when they're head and shoulders above the rest, also you don't have to be a elite athlete to be a elite baseball player