O's non tender candidates according to MLBTR

wildcard

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

After thinking about it… I think Tate is a slam dunk to return. The option(s) he has alone are worth the $1.5 million. We need RH relief options. Especially with Bautista out all of next year. Coloumbe, Irvin, Webb, Perez, Baumann, and Davidson, all are out of options for next year. That leaves only Cano, Wells, Baker, Tate, Akin, Zimmerman, and Vespi, as relievers with options on our 40 man. Mostly anyone we’d claim off waivers are likely on waivers because they’re out of options as well. 

Tate is a good gamble to carry through ST with the current roster construction and see what he has. If we wanted to DFA him it could be similar to O’Hearn last year since he has a $1.5 million salary. 

Tate hurt his arm in November of 2022.   A forearm strain which usually leads to TJ surgery.  He never had the surgery and wasn’t able to pitch one ML inning last year.   I’ll leave that one for Elias and the team doctors but I have very low expectations.

What good is the option if Tate can’t pitch?

Edited by RZNJ

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Haha.  He had 75 innings at 3B in 2021 BUT if you want to consider 2021 then his defensive numbers that year were comparable to 2022 which would make 2023 the outlier.

I think he’s probably not ever going to be as good defensively as he was in 2022.  It’s just wrong to call it an outlier.

Every winning team needs role players and depth. So guys like Urias, and even Mateo, have more value to us than most teams in the league. Over a 162 game season you need bench pieces. There’s not some great travesty if Ortiz is a depth piece, up/down guy, on a 100 win team.

Injuries happen. Look at Mullins and Mateo last year. Both were running wild on the bases last year before having leg injuries. Over 162, I like that option with Mateo. Especially as a late inning weapon over 162 and the new extra inning rule. That’s how you win 100 and prevent regression. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Look at Mullins and Mateo last year. Both were running wild on the bases last year before having leg injuries. 

I don’t recall Mateo having any leg injuries, and his SB rate stayed pretty constant.  He had more stolen bases in March/April because he had a much higher OBP then and he was playing every day.  It’s hard to steal bases when you’re not on base.   Mullins is a different story.  He did not attempt many steals after his leg injuries.  In fact, he stole very little after April, even before the leg injuries.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t recall Mateo having any leg injuries, and his SB rate stayed pretty constant.  He had more stolen bases in March/April because he had a much higher OBP then and he was playing every day.  It’s hard to steal bases when you’re not on base.   Mullins is a different story.  He did not attempt many steals after his leg injuries.  In fact, he stole very little after April, even before the leg injuries.  

Mateo had that hip thing where he had to leave a game early and then missed a few games.  It was right in the middle of his scorching start.

He did not miss any serious time with it, but he did stop stealing bases  at that insane clip almost immediately after, though the factors you listed were certainly part of the explanation as well.

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tate hurt his arm in November of 2022.   A forearm strain which usually leads to TJ surgery.  He never had the surgery and wasn’t able to pitch one ML inning last year.   I’ll leave that one for Elias and the team doctors but I have very low expectations.

What good is the option if Tate can’t pitch?

Good point. I forgot that he didn’t have the surgery. That’s a mess. Not worth a 40 man spot over the offseason. Hopefully, we can retain him on a milb deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

Webb had a 3.69 era over the season at 1.2 million that would be a steal of a deal.  People are looking way too much into his last week of the season plus playoff issues.  He still has a plus arm and can be a solid middle inning reliever.  

He will be around, but will probably stink next season

Webb should be, at most, brought back on a minor league deal with a ST invite and see if he can make the team but really, I don’t want him on the team. I just don’t see him as that good. 

I know some of his stat cast numbers were good but I don’t trust him and that showed true as the season went on.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Webb should be, at most, brought back on a minor league deal with a ST invite and see if he can make the team but really, I don’t want him on the team. I just don’t see him as that good. 

I know some of his stat cast numbers were good but I don’t trust him and that showed true as the season went on.

He'll pitch at 30-years old so he's not a spring chicken and we know how bad he pitched against Texas. Saying that, his ERA was 4.76 in September, but he had 2.99 FIP . Overall he pitched ok for the Orioles and his statcast stuff looks good, and before the homers in the playoffs, he never even allowed a homer with the Orioles this season.

Lefties are my biggest concern with him as the hit him a little too much with his changeup his only effective weapon against them.

So would I be upset if he was DFA'd for someone else that may be better, no, not really. But he's not one of the guys I'd be dumping easily with our current right-handed reliever options. Plus I don't think he will be expensive at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm probably the only one on this limb, but I sure hope we don't lose Mateo via non-tender. We spent nearly 6 mil last year on Givens and Tate. That was a sunk cost. I'd gamble 2.9 mil on the prospect that at least between now and the end of spring training we could get something for Mateo. Mateo is still an enigma to me and this little voice keeps saying he's going to be a special piece for someone. I don't mind losing Mateo in a trade but not just non-tender and walk away. Like I said, probably just me and my orange glasses. 

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm very curious to see what the team does. We have to wait, what, 4 or 5 more days to find out?  

Our entire bullpen needs re-enforced. This is the start of organizing to solve that issue.

The non-tender deadline for teams this year is Friday, Nov 17.   So roughly 2 weeks from now.