2023 #7 Prospect Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Willie McGee, who won an MVP, a batting title, was a 4-time all star and 3-time Gold Glover?   Geez, talk about setting your sights low?

You obviously misunderstood what I was writing. It wasn’t a knock on him. It was an observation. Willie was not known to drive the ball, more of a slap hitter. I remain hopeful he will be more “Lofton-like” and drive the ball more. Today’s game, not sure that a slap hitter has as much success as McGee did playing on green concrete turf fields. 

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Cedric hits for a bunch more power than players who are probably EBJ's more sensible comps.    By coincidence they share team, position and proximity in time.

Outside of Mullins 30 HR season he’s been a 12-16 HR guy in each of his full season’s including the minors. We’ll have to see what EBJ does in his first full year of pro ball. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Outside of Mullins 30 HR season he’s been a 12-16 HR guy in each of his full season’s including the minors. We’ll have to see what EBJ does in his first full year of pro ball. 

Bradfield doesn’t have anywhere near Mullins’ power.  I don’t need to see him for a full year in the minors to form that opinion.   

Mullins has a .172 ISO as a major leaguer.  For Bradfield, anything over .100 will be gravy.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Bradfield doesn’t have anywhere near Mullins’ power.  I don’t need to see him for a full year in the minors to form that opinion.   

Mullins has a .172 ISO as a major leaguer.  For Bradfield, anything over .100 will be gravy.   

C’mon Frobby. EBJ isn’t a major leaguer yet and 25-28.

At 20 Mullins hit all of 4 HR at Campbell. EBJ hit 8 at Vandy last year in his age 20 season. 

Can’t bring up the minors till EBJ plays his first full season at 21 this year just like Mullins. Let’s see what happens this year. Mullins hit 14 HR at 21 in his first full season in Delmarva btw. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At 20 Mullins hit all of 4 HR at Campbell. EBJ hit 8 at Vandy last year in his age 20 season. 

Can’t bring up the minors till EBJ plays his first full season at 21 this year just like Mullins. Let’s see what happens this year. Mullins hit 14 HR at 21 in his first full season in Delmarva btw. 

Mullins nickname was parking lot in college and minors because of his power in BP.  He has average plus raw power.  Game power didn’t show up until later.  

Edited by emmett16

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Mullins nickname was parking lot in college and minors because of his power in BP.  He has average plus raw power.  Game power didn’t show up until later.  

Why are we comparing EBJ to Cedric? Different body type. Very different game. Yes they play the same position and are both fast (most CF are) but their games are very different. If EBJ gives the O's a few peak Juan Pierre years we should all be overjoyed. 

Edited by Jim'sKid26
  • Upvote 2

EBJ is 6’1” 170. Mullins is 5’9” 175. 

Don’t penalize EBJ because there’s NCAA footage of him doing what Vanderbilt asked him to do, all while out homering Mullins 8-6 at age 20 in NCAA. While facing much better comp. We don’t know what Mullins looked like in NCAA. 

We’re going to get a good look at EBJ this year. Just keep in mind that Gunnar, Westburg, and Cowser, all struggled a bit in the pitcher’s park of Aberdeen. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mullins had a .209 ISO in college, Bradfield .136.

Mullins had a .160 ISO in the minors, Bradfield is at .038 so far.  

Sure, I know that Bradfield played in a much more competitive conference in college and that his pro sample size is miniscule.   Still, I’ve seen his body and his swing, and I’ve seen Mullins.  Mullins has more power than Bradfield is ever going to have, in my very strongly held opinion.

That’s hardly the end of the world.   Bradfield can have a very productive major league career - quite possibly better than Mullins’ - if he can just develop enough pop to keep pitchers honest.  He doesn’t need to be Mullins’ equal in that regard.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins had a .209 ISO in college, Bradfield .136.

Mullins had a .160 ISO in the minors, Bradfield is at .038 so far.  

Sure, I know that Bradfield played in a much more competitive conference in college and that his pro sample size is miniscule.   Still, I’ve seen his body and his swing, and I’ve seen Mullins.  Mullins has more power than Bradfield is ever going to have, in my very strongly held opinion.

That’s hardly the end of the world.   Bradfield can have a very productive major league career - quite possibly better than Mullins’ - if he can just develop enough pop to keep pitchers honest.  He doesn’t need to be Mullins’ equal in that regard.

Appreciate the numbers, but given the comp difference in college how many of the doubles and triples that Mullins had got played into XBH because of the step down in athletes in the OF?

Also, EBJ had to play his role at Vandy because every game there was a “must win” type of environment. So he had to drop more bunts down and move runners over versus playing in low stress games at Campbell that aren’t on TV. 

We’ll see what happens at Aberdeen and Bowie this year with the help of the O’s developmental staff. 

6’1” is a decent frame to add some more muscle to tap into more power as well. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Appreciate the numbers, but given the comp difference in college how many of the doubles and triples that Mullins had got played into XBH because of the step down in athletes in the OF?

Also, EBJ had to play his role at Vandy because every game there was a “must win” type of environment. So he had to drop more bunts down and move runners over versus playing in low stress games at Campbell that aren’t on TV. 

We’ll see what happens at Aberdeen and Bowie this year with the help of the O’s developmental staff. 

6’1” is a decent frame to add some more muscle to tap into more power as well. 

I have confidence in the O’s development staff to make Bradfield into the best version of himself, including adding some power.   I just don’t think he’ll have Mullins-level power.  Nor does he need to.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fangraphs had a brief chat with him.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-orioles-prospect-enrique-bradfield-jr-knows-his-game/

When I asked him during spring training if he’s ever tried to tap into more power, Bradfield said that has never been a focus, adding that he’d “be going in the wrong direction if it was.” That seems a shrewd self-assessment. A line-drive hitter who swings from the left side, Bradfield will ultimately reach Baltimore by continuing to propel balls from foul pole to foul pole.

“I know the type of player that I am, and the player that I want to be over the long-term,” Bradfield told me. “That’s the most important piece, finding what works best for me and not just doing something it because it might look good, or might look like it’s going to work. I’ve never shied away from trying new things — I’m always looking for ways to get better — but I also know that I need to be true to who I am.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/16/2024 at 9:43 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

He had 15 in 450 PA last season, which is a clean 20/600PA pace