Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair.  But I don't really hold TJ surgery against anyone anymore.  It's weird for position players to have to have it, I agree there.  The only thing is that it takes awhile to come back from it, but it seems like most players do.  

I don't care that he's 5'9.  We love Cedric Mullins here, he's not that tall either.  

It's a small sample size but he hit 4 homers in 31 major league plate appearances last year after being called up.

I will agree that he's a bit overhyped, that's got a lot to do with being a Yankee prospect.  I will also agree that the power hasn't been there in the minors but that's okay, I still think he can get to it as he gets older.  I think if he were in our system he'd be behind Holliday, Mayo, Basallo and probably somewhere between Kjerstad and Norby.  

The age thing is a big plus for him though.

He definitely has age and upside.  I’m not denying that.  But it wasn’t that long ago that he was a top 30ish prospect. Now he has dropped 75th on the MLB list.  Now, FG has him 32nd. Just baseball has him 13th.

So, the opinions seem to be all over the place on him. I don’t think the Yankees trade him so this is mostly a moot point in terms of him going for Cease.

I think he’s a guy that could go either way. He could become a star or he could fall on his face. I would think the Yankees thought he would grow more when they signed him. 

I would certainly prefer them to trade him than keep him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I get that.

But when a shop down I95 also has that same car, which is sure to appreciate even more, and the seat doesn’t need to be reupholstered, which one is more appealing? 

You keep saying this.  Zero people who are looking to invest 1.5+ billion dollars on a pro sports team are going to care about Pennies on the payroll, especially if the players are actually good and give you a better chance to win.

David Tepper was just fined 300k. That is the equivalent to the average American being fined $1.77.  Billionaires operate in a different world than the rest of us. They are buying a sports franchise, presumably, to win and make money..some only do it for money but most want to win.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He definitely has age and upside.  I’m not denying that.  But it wasn’t that long ago that he was a top 30ish prospect. Now he has dropped 75th on the MLB list.  Now, FG has him 32nd. Just baseball has him 13th.

So, the opinions seem to be all over the place on him. I don’t think the Yankees trade him so this is mostly a moot point in terms of him going for Cease.

I think he’s a guy that could go either way. He could become a star or he could fall on his face. I would think the Yankees thought he would grow more when they signed him. 

Tests exist to determine how much further growth is likely.

I don't think the Yankees spent 5.1M without having them done.

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I get that.

But when a shop down I95 also has that same car, which is sure to appreciate even more, and the seat doesn’t need to be reupholstered, which one is more appealing? 

The shop down the street turned down $2,000,000,000 for their car, so I'm going to say the one that needs the seat reupholstered.

That car also has the Strasburg deal on the books.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/19/ted-leonsis-washington-nationals/

Edited by Can_of_corn

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We agree.  I do believe the Yankees thought he'd be more than he's turned out to be so far.  I think the "next Mantle" bit gets thrown around too often, IIRC I remember it being used to describe him.

If they traded him for Cease I wouldn't mind at all.  I don't think it happens.

Just now, DenaOsHon said:

I can't see us a good match for White Sox. We do not have the pitching prospects the White Sox would want back for Cease. Would need to include a third team. I think someone mention Mariners as a good fit.

The White Sox need talent all over the place.  A team that won 61 games last year needs help any way they can get it.

1 minute ago, DenaOsHon said:

I can't see us a good match for White Sox. We do not have the pitching prospects the White Sox would want back for Cease. Would need to include a third team. I think someone mention Mariners as a good fit.

If we're going to include the Mariners, why do the White Sox need to be involved?   Personally, I think we are a better match with them than Chicago and should be going after one of their younger starters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Just an FYI one of the WS board insiders seems to think the Yankees are making an aggressive push. @Chicago White Sox can probably best speak to their credibility as an insider.

Can someone please explain to me why a so called  "insider" would post on a non sanctioned team message board / forum? What would be their motivation? What would they gain from doing this?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The White Sox need talent all over the place.  A team that won 61 games last year needs help any way they can get it.

Agree but they seem to really want pitching based on what they wanted from the Reds. I just don't think we match up well with them unless a third team comes in to play.

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

If we're going to include the Mariners, why do the White Sox need to be involved?   Personally, I think we are a better match with them than Chicago and should be going after one of their younger starters.

Agree 100%. I was just bringing them up based on what was shared previously. I personally do not want Cease unless the price drops. I would rather go after arms in Seattle or Marlins system.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep…and we really don’t know if the WS truly are looking for pitching. People are assuming that because the asked for pitching in a Reds deal and Pepiot in a Dodgers deal.

Now, maybe that means they want pitching..or maybe it means they just valued pitching with those teams. No one actually knows.

I would hope Getz or any other GM isn’t dumb enough to take lesser prospects just because the pitch.

Just now, DenaOsHon said:

Agree but they seem to really want pitching based on what they wanted from the Reds. I just don't think we match up well with them unless a third team comes in to play.

Three team trades are rare in the MLB, I'm not sure why that is.  If they want pitching I agree we're probably not the best match.  

The White Sox have the good fortune of being in arguably the crappiest division in baseball.  If their GM does, like, 75% of what Elias did they'll be in a good spot.

• Like 1