Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

16 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I am at that point make your offer and tell them you got 48 hours to take it or we are gonna go a different way and sign a free agent.  At some point the dance has to be over and you move on to another date.  

Agreed 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm the WS I'm all, oh?  OK cool.  Good luck with getting your owner to write that check that will bring you back a guy as good as Cease.

Talk to you in 49 hours.

That WS strategy doesn’t seem to be working too well.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We won't know until this plays out.

I'm sure he's going to have to come down at least a bit, but I don't think an ultimatum is going to work.

It seems like other interested parties have moved on.   I see no problem with “this is our final offer” or else we’ll go to plan B.   If plan B is nothing then it can’t hurt to just sit back and wait.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We get to bring all of our fancy bats to ST and watch what happens. The White Sox get to worry with every pitch Cease throws. We’ll be aight. 

This. Cease is kind of a luxury. This team can hold their own until the deadline and see if they can supplement then. We have 7 guys who can start games (8 if you want to count Akin, which you shouldn't). Cease would be great to add, but Elias is fielding a playoff team as is right now, and that's all he's under directive to do. 

If the ask remains unreasonable, we will gladly continue to play with our toys. I do think it would still be prudent to trade someone like Urias for some international lottery guys to break up the logjam a little for Ortiz, but we can do that at any time from now until the deadline. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We won't know until this plays out.

I'm sure he's going to have to come down at least a bit, but I don't think an ultimatum is going to work.

I can see an ultimatum of sorts working if Elias has another deal close and he's offering the White Sox an opportunity to make a best and final offer/adjustment, but that's about it when it comes to dictating to another GM who you'll probably need to work with again in the future.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It seems like other interested parties have moved on.   I see no problem with “this is our final offer” or else we’ll go to plan B.   If plan B is nothing then it can’t hurt to just sit back and wait.

Doing nothing, Oriole offseason way.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think that’s where we are, but it’s unclear if plan B is (1) nothing (2) trade for someone we like less or (3) use the $8m that would go to Cease to sign some combination of FA SP/RP.

If plan B is #2 or 3, that precludes a Cease deal if the prospects that would go to Cease are needed in that deal or Angelos isn’t willing to further stretch the payroll for Cease’s gargantuan $8m contract. Ideally they could do something and still leave the door open for Cease, but if not then we do need to get some sort of resolution from the White Sox at some point.

If plan B is nothing then we’re just fine waiting indefinitely, and hoping Snell/Montgomery eventually signing spurs the White Sox into action. That could drag on all the way into Spring Training with the way Boras handles situations like Snell/Montgomery.

I kinda think plan B is nothing, or only bring in guys cheap enough that Cease plan A remains open (which may be nobody). 

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I can see an ultimatum of sorts working if Elias has another deal close and he's offering the White Sox an opportunity to make a best and final offer/adjustment, but that's about it when it comes to dictating to another GM who you'll probably need to work with again in the future.

An “ultimatum” could be done in a way that it’s more of a courtesy.  Hey bud, not for nothing, but I’m making this other move in the next 48 hours if we can’t get together on this Cease deal.   It only looks bad if you don’t make that move.

• Upvote 1