AL Cy Young..Bradish finishes 4th

Sports Guy

I think the one knock on Bradish, though it doesn’t really stand up on closer examination, is that he barely pitched enough innings to qualify (168.2).   If he’d been in the 180+ range with the same ERA, I doubt anyone would have left him off their ballot.  

Of course, many of the voters probably don’t know that Bradish got hit by a line drive in his first outing of the year that cost him several innings that game and also cost him two other starts.   He’s probably over 180 IP if that doesn’t happen.  

In any event, 4th place is very respectable and Bradish can be very proud of his season. The last time an Orioles starter finished that high was Mike Mussina (2nd) in 1999.   Zach Britton also finished 4th in his 2016 campaign.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes there is. Plenty of guys had a top 5 case

Wish we still had Gausman last year… Gausman sent in trade to Braves with 2 years of arb control left and Darren O’Day netted us only Bruce Zimmermann still in the organization lol 

Yes he then imploded and no way we afforded him anyway but still he would have looked good with us 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fourth in front of Bradish.

I doubt it.  He played 79% of the season.  It’s not like he missed half the year.  Maybe he ends up with 40-42 saves, another blown save, and another 25-30 K’s.  I don’t think that would get him to 4th.  

On 11/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, Frobby said:

I think the one knock on Bradish, though it doesn’t really stand up on closer examination, is that he barely pitched enough innings to qualify (168.2).   If he’d been in the 180+ range with the same ERA, I doubt anyone would have left him off their ballot.  

Of course, many of the voters probably don’t know that Bradish got hit by a line drive in his first outing of the year that cost him several innings that game and also cost him two other starts.   He’s probably over 180 IP if that doesn’t happen.  

In any event, 4th place is very respectable and Bradish can be very proud of his season. The last time an Orioles starter finished that high was Mike Mussina (2nd) in 1999.   Zach Britton also finished 4th in his 2016 campaign.  

Such a nostalgic pleasure to remember the era of 1969-1980 when the Orioles had perennial CYA contenders. Won it SIX times during those 12 years: Cuellar, Palmer 3x, Flanagan, Stone--and that's with McNally, MacGregor, and Boddicker not winning it, but contending as high as Bradish this season. That, Weaver, and the great defense formed my baseball tastes and standards for sure.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1