What are your offensive expectations for Westburg if given regular playing time in 2024?

Frobby

Jordan Westburg posted a .295/.372/.567 line in Norfolk this year, followed by .260/.311/.404 in the majors.   He got pretty steady playing time in the majors, not every single day, but playing in 68 of 86 games (54 starts) and getting 228 PA in the majors.

So my question is, what kind of offensive numbers do you think Westburg puts up in 2024?  Assume that he’ll get at least as much playing time in 2024 as in 2023, despite the possible arrival of other infield prospects at some point during the season.  

Personally, I believe in his bat and would go with .270/.325/.450.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jordan Westburg posted a .295/.372/.567 line in Norfolk this year, followed by .260/.311/.404 in the majors.   He got pretty steady playing time in the majors, not every single day, but playing in 68 of 86 games (54 starts) and getting 228 PA in the majors.

So my question is, what kind of offensive numbers do you think Westburg puts up in 2024?  Assume that he’ll get at least as much playing time in 2024 as in 2023, despite the possible arrival of other infield prospects at some point during the season.  

Personally, I believe in his bat and would go with .270/.325/.450.   

Close enough.  Maybe a slightly lower batting average.  

• Upvote 1

Wait, wait, wait.

Is Westburg a better 2B than Holliday for all of 2024?   Maybe to begin the season but for how long?    So if Holliday moves Westburg off 2B.   Westburg is not going to move Gunnar off SS.

So is Westburg a better 3B than Ortiz?   Probably not defensively.  Offensively its an unknown.

Westburg has to win a spot somewhere. If he moves around all over the infield and outfield corners it probably does not help his offense in 2024.  

Westburg is a good player and I like him staying with the O's.  But there is a lot that is probably going to happen with him in 2024 IMO.  Accurately projecting his offense is pretty tough IMO.

Edited by wildcard
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wait, wait, wait.

Is Westburg a better 2B than Holliday for all of 2024?   Maybe to begin the season but for how long?    So if Holliday moves Westburg off 2B.   Westburg is not going to move Gunnar off SS.

So is Westburg a better 3B than Ortiz?   Probably not defensively.  Offensively its an unknown.

Westburg has to win a spot somewhere. If he moves around all over the infield and outfield corners it probably does not help his offense in 2024.  

Westburg is a good player and I like him staying with the O's.  But there is a lot that is probably going to happen with him in 2024 IMO.  Accurately projecting his offense is pretty tough IMO.

Accurately projecting anything in baseball is tough.  I noticed that hasn’t stopped you.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wait, wait, wait.

Westburg is a good player and I like him staying with the O's.  But there is a lot that is probably going to happen with him in 2024 IMO.  Projecting his offense is pretty tough IMO.

A lot of people seem to look at it that way, and perhaps Elias does also.

My guess is that Henderson is the best third baseman in the organization and Ortiz is the best shortstop. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I also think with Henderson's size it would be best to lock him in at third for his career.

7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

A lot of people seem to look at it that way, and perhaps Elias does also.

My guess is that Henderson is the best third baseman in the organization and Ortiz is the best shortstop. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I also think with Henderson's size it would be best to lock him in at third for his career.

I find it funny that Oriole fans, who had Cal Ripken at SS for 13-14 years are arguing that Henderson should move to 3B because he’s too big.

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I find it funny that Oriole fans, who had Cal Ripken at SS for 13-14 years are arguing that Henderson should move to 3B because he’s too big.

With Brooks at 3rd base, where else would play Cal at that time?  Henderson  should move to 3rd base, maybe,  due to the fact that there is an abundance of Infielders.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

With Brooks at 3rd base, where else would play Cal at that time?  Henderson  should move to 3rd base, maybe,  due to the fact that there is an abundance of Infielders.  

Brooks was long gone by the time Cal came up.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Wait, wait, wait.

Do you ever answer the question that’s asked?   It’s pretty frustrating. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles didn't have anyone like Ortiz in 1982. I think DeCinces was traded to make room for Cal at third, but since the Orioles didn't have a very good shortstop at the time, it made sense to move him to short. It worked out pretty well. It could also work out for Gunnar. I think Cal would have been just as good at third.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you ever answer the question that’s asked?   It’s pretty frustrating. 

I did answer the question. You assume that his playing time will come like it did in 2023 and I don't believe that is a given.   There are plenty of other posters here.  If they can figure out where  Westburg will play, how much playing time he gets and what numbers he will have then have at it.

For me too many unknowns at the moment.