2023 Orioles #2 Prospect Samuel Basallo - C/1B

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There’s just something about that lefty swing. No one drools over right handed batter’s swings but when it comes to lefties it’s a different story. Watched that Basallo clip about 10 times. 

Is it that their stance is typically (99.9% of the time) more open toward the camera which comes in from slightly left-center field (over pitcher's RH shoulder)?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

No basebally take on the large human's batting skill, swing plane or defensive ability intended!

I did google for "Basallo in spanish translation" in case it meant Horn, but the Internet claims "Base".     Which actually is a kind of cool baseball name.

Basallo is Spanish for "All your bases are belong to us"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There’s just something about that lefty swing. No one drools over right handed batter’s swings but when it comes to lefties it’s a different story. Watched that Basallo clip about 10 times. 

It’s a hypnotizing video. The power is unreal.

He is reminding me more and more of this guy.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see why you’d say that. Quite a comp and not out of line. 

It’s probably unfair but Alvarez wasn’t even in the minors at age 18 and Basallo just went 3 levels, dominating at the same age.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I'll take Basallo the year the game comes back to OPACY.

We talk about this a lot but Basallo is a guy I could see hitting the Warehouse. Kjerstad maybe as well but Basallo has incredible power.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:41 PM, Sports Guy said:

We talk about this a lot but Basallo is a guy I could see hitting the Warehouse. Kjerstad maybe as well but Basallo has incredible power.

I dunno if anyone will hit it in a game if no one has already. The steroid era has come and allegedly went, no one did it then. 

A lot of big time power bats have come through to tee off on mostly crappy Orioles pitching since 1992. If Basallo somehow does it, that would be quite an accomplishment. But people seem to forget that the playing field sits below the warehouse, it’s gotta go farther than the actual measured distance to get there. 

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno if anyone will hit it in a game if no one has already. The steroid era has come and allegedly went, no one did it then. 

A lot of big time power bats have come through to tee off on mostly crappy Orioles pitching since 1992. If Basallo somehow does it, that would be quite an accomplishment. But people seem to forget that the playing field sits below the warehouse, it’s gotta go farther than the actual measured distance to get there. 

It’s the way the wind swirls.

But his power and his EV numbers are huge. He is a guy that could do it.

But it’s definitely a real challenge.