Who are the 2023 Orioles #11 and #12 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the 2023 Orioles #11 and #12 prospects?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the 2023 Orioles #11 and #12 prospects?

• Fabian and Norby
    • Norby and Baumeister
    • Norby and Povich
    • Norby and Braylin Tavera
    • Povich and Norby

This poll is closed to new votes

Tony mentioned there would be some surprises  beyond the top 10. This is where I can see it going so many directions.

I know Tony liked Baumeister but since he didn’t pitch, it’s a tough eval. So I’m going to go with a non surprise here and take Norby and Povich.

Tavera was a guy who was a choice in the 9-10 range, so maybe he’s here too.

Edited by Sports Guy

Of the players listed, the last prospect power ranking went like this:

13. Povich 

16. Fabian 

17. Tavera

18. Norby

19. Baumeister

Personally I wouldn’t have Fabian that high.   Too much swing and miss in his game.  And, while Povich has starting pitcher upside, he’s so inconsistent that to me he doesn’t deserve a spot that high either   So, I’m voting Norby and Tavera, though I won’t be surprised if it’s one of the Povich/Norby combos.

Meanwhile, Creed Willems was no. 9 in the final power rankings   I guess Tony had a re-think!

Norby & Povich.  I could see Tavera sneaking in at 12.  I know Tony likes him and if he got some glowing reports his skill-set & age could vault him up the rankings quickly.   He is going to be fun to watch next year.  Ultimately, it’s gotta be Norby at 11, he’s gonna debut next year and could stick.  He’s put up legit #s at AAA.  Povich too is going to debut and has the tools to be a starting pitcher.  

Norby-Povich would be the conventional pick, but Tony seems to like going against the conventional wisdom. I also wonder if international might be a trend. Povich and Fabian are more advanced but somewhat disappointing. Tavera still has tons of upside at age 18. So I went with Norby-Tavera here. 

I guess in 2025, Braylin Tavera will carry the Gunnar-Mayo-Basallo baton - no pressure, kid!

B. Tavera is 0.5 years younger than Basallo, and Elias gave him a bonus about 33% larger than Basallo's, though granted the imprecision with 16-year old Dominicans is the biggest of any talent group the Clubs get to access.

Edited by Just Regular

Norby and ???

Fabian is easily a tier below for me.  Baumeister still has some boxes to check.  There's a case to be made for Tavera though.

Good Povich is really, really good.  The upside is tantalizing for an LHP in OPACY!  I'll take him at 11 and Norby at 12.

I voted Norby Povich because I really hope Tony doesn't see enough warts in Povich's profile to continue to drop him.

The upside is there. As a lefty, he could be incredibly valuable to the O's. I hope he's the real deal.

Plus I just don't know much about Tavera yet. I look forward to that write-up too.

I'm struggling to see why Tavera is included here at all. He certainly showed some promise last year as an 18-yo in the FCL with a .812 OPS. But it's hard to know what to even make of that combination of parameters. He didn't blow the doors off rookie ball or anything, but he didn't disappear off the map like so many other international guys did in the system. To me, that's a nice top 20 guy, but I don't think deserving of just missing the top 10. But of course I don't know much about him scouting-wise, I'm only looking at his line. 

Edited by interloper

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm struggling to see why Tavera is included here at all. He certainly showed some promise last year as an 18-yo in the FCL with a .812 OPS. But it's hard to know what to even make of that combination of parameters. He didn't blow the doors off rookie ball or anything, but he didn't disappear off the map like so many other international guys did in the system. To me, that's a nice top 20 guy, but I don't think deserving of just missing the top 10. But of course I don't know much about him scouting-wise, I'm only looking at his line. 

I think it's safe to assume if Tavera is ranked this highly it is because there are very encouraging scouting reports to go along with the stat line.  Of course, Tony isn't ranking any of these people on stat lines alone. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

You might have said the same things about Basallo last year.   Check out the minor league section.   

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You might have said the same things about Basallo last year.   Check out the minor league section.   

Maybe two years ago but not last year. Either way, if Tony has him in the conversation as a top 12 guy, that's pretty exciting. Because for me I would not have even thought about him this high.