Athletic, Maeda an option for Orioles (Signs 2 year deal with Detroit)

Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The phantom IL stints could be a feature from a team perspective too.  It could be how tomorrow’s rookies are integrated into a competitive team structure. Managed IL stints give us a chance to give some ML exposure to the guys on the fringe:  Hall, Wells, Irvin, Armbreuster, McDermott, Povich.  Without locking them into being “the guy” we need as our #3 in crunch time unless they prove they can handle it.

That sounds like it's kinda against the rules.

Why would any player agree to subterfuge of that nature?

Sure, give me a reputation as being injury prone to limit my future earning potential.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That sounds like it's kinda against the rules.

Why would any player agree to subterfuge of that nature?

Sure, give me a reputation as being injury prone to limit my future earning potential.

Is Wells’ durability a feature or a bug?  Is Maeda’s past a feature or a bug?  O’Hearn/Mountcastle splits?  There’s a case to be made that it depends on what you do with it.  Is there a plan to use it positively or just write it off negatively?

Is he a guy you can count on for 30+ GS currently?  Or would we need a plan for 8-12 GS in his rotation spot? 

14 hours ago, 24fps said:

I've read a couple of Matthew Postins' posts over the last week or so, and while he has a vague, basic understanding of the O's, it's pretty clear that he's posting whether or not he has anything that qualifies as news.  The internet hustle - ain't it grand?

Is it just me, or has this offseason been RIDICULOUS with nothing but made up "what if" articles with no factual basis whatsoever?? It keeps getting worse and worse....it's nuts. Basically none of these articles are credible.

That article's headline is "Baltimore Orioles Linked to Twins Starter".  And I guess they're linked because of an Athletic article?! That counts as "linked"???

Then it says the "Orioles could find help.....Maeda is not a pitcher the Orioles have been linked to this offseason. But he may be one worth investigating."

Garbage.

Edited by CP0861

28 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Is Wells’ durability a feature or a bug?  Is Maeda’s past a feature or a bug?  O’Hearn/Mountcastle splits?  There’s a case to be made that it depends on what you do with it.  Is there a plan to use it positively or just write it off negatively?

Is he a guy you can count on for 30+ GS currently?  Or would we need a plan for 8-12 GS in his rotation spot? 

He’s best suited for the pen. I’d make him the closer this season. He can give you some 2 innings stints and shouldn’t run out of gas. It would be nice security as the Mountain can ease back in when ready. Plus good insurance as I don’t think he feels the need to overthrow which is what happened with Felix IMO.

29 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Is it just me, or has this offseason been RIDICULOUS with nothing but made up "what if" articles with no factual basis whatsoever?? It keeps getting worse and worse....it's nuts. Basically none of these articles are credible.

That article's headline is "Baltimore Orioles Linked to Twins Starter".  And I guess they're linked because of an Athletic article?! That counts as "linked"???

Then it says the "Orioles could find help.....Maeda is not a pitcher the Orioles have been linked to this offseason. But he may be one worth investigating."

Garbage.

I mean, they’re just passing time until the action heats up in the next 10-14 days.  (Winter meetings start on Monday Dec. 4 and there may be some action before then).   It’s harmless.   Nobody’s pretending that there’s been rumors that these deals are in actual discussion by the teams.   

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I would group using a "phantom IL" with stealing signs using technology.  It's a form of cheating.

If you are in favor of it, that's up to you but please don't get all upset about other forms of cheating,

I wonder if NHL fans got upset about how the Lightning abused the injury rules a few years back?

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean, they’re just passing time until the action heats up in the next 10-14 days.  (Winter meetings start on Monday Dec. 4 and there may be some action before then).   It’s harmless.   Nobody’s pretending that there’s been rumors that these deals are in actual discussion by the teams.   

Yea I don’t quite get why people get so up in arms about this.

Now, how a rumor is presented on the board can be annoying. It’s just speculation and nothing more than that. And it’s reasonable considering he will get less than 3 years and his salary won’t break the bank.

1 hour ago, CP0861 said:

Garbage.

It's the new normal in a world saturated with social media.  I suspect these guys are paid peanuts in the beginning, overloaded with expectations and survival is based on "followers" or some equivalent metric.  There are still plenty of credible news sources but you need to either look for them, pay for them or spend a staggering amount of time sifting through all the noise to figure it out on your own.  Sports is fertile ground for the growing of instant experts.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you see where his people immediately refuted that claim?

He's not eliminating any landing spots at the moment.

I did, but I also think it's a pretty common sense sentiment. Probably not a dealbreaker, but I would think it would certainly be a plus. I know Kodai Senga has been lobbying pretty hard for the Mets to sign him. 

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The phantom IL stints could be a feature from a team perspective too.  It could be how tomorrow’s rookies are integrated into a competitive team structure. Managed IL stints give us a chance to give some ML exposure to the guys on the fringe:  Hall, Wells, Irvin, Armbreuster, McDermott, Povich.  Without locking them into being “the guy” we need as our #3 in crunch time unless they prove they can handle it.

I personally think it's BS and illegal and it annoys me that a big market team like the Dodgers were able to get away with such obvious deception. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of others ways legally manage his innings if we do sign him.