Chourio to get 8/80..Os should do the same for Holliday

Sports Guy

They should.  They should also offer something to Gunnar, too.

But they won't because they're stupid when it comes to this.  

We can bang the "Angelos is cheap" drum all day, and that's a fun drum to bang on.  But I also get the feeling (and it's a feeling, it's not based on fact or quotes or anything tangible) that Elias is confident enough in his skills and abilities to be able to replace these guys when they hit free agency.  That he can keep that continuous pipeline of talent to the majors constantly stocked so that when Gunnar or Holliday walk, there's three or four guys ready to go to replace them.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

We can bang the "Angelos is cheap" drum all day, and that's a fun drum to bang on.  But I also get the feeling (and it's a feeling, it's not based on fact or quotes or anything tangible) that Elias is confident enough in his skills and abilities to be able to replace these guys when they hit free agency.  That he can keep that continuous pipeline of talent to the majors constantly stocked so that when Gunnar or Holliday walk, there's three or four guys ready to go to replace them.

Elias won't be here when they hit free agency

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree that Elias is confident he can do it.  That doesn't guarantee he actually can but I'm sure he's confident in his capabilities.

He might also have an exit strategy in place for when that time comes.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nope. It’s definitely because Angelos is cheap. That dude isn’t taking $80 million out of his pockets over the next 8 years. Heck no. There’s no Elias conspiracy. It’s all ownership. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t buy this at all.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Totally disagree. This is all on Angelos. Could always trade these guys if the next big thing is in the pipeline. We're not talking about cost-prohibitive deals on the market. We're talking about deals that are only achievable because the CBA keeps the price of these guys down for ~7 years.

• Upvote 1

This deal is 8 years and 2 club options, I believe.  That’s probably buying out at least 3 FA years if not 4.   I think Boras wants his guy to hit FA at 26/27 for the super mega contract as opposed to 30 but I could be wrong.  Is it my imagination or is it more young international players signing these types of contracts?

We just need to accept the fact that Elias doesn’t have some win cheap agenda. He just wants to succeed at his job given the resources available. 

This is all on JA.

I’m sure the reason we got Flaherty over Montgomery at the deadline was because Montgomery cost the pro rated portion of $10 million and Flaherty cost the pro rated portion of $5.4 million. 

No more analysis needed. We had the best record in the AL. JA wasn’t even willing to spend the extra 1-2 million extra then. 

• Upvote 1

Did DD really want to attach first rd draft picks to Ryan Webb and Brian Matusz to trade away there $2-3 million salaries?

What has JA given Elias to work with?  The CD buyout that CD took no interest on his owed salary?  The ability to spend our full draft and int’l pool money?

The rumor last season was that MLB nudged us to spend some FA bucks and that’s why we saw Frazier, Givens, and Gibson signed. 

There’s a reason why Elias is so well respected. Everyone knows what he truly has to work with. 

• Upvote 1