Holliday HR Derby

Bird Lady

That was a fun watch. Gotta love the bat bros You Tube Channel. A couple of things i got out of this video:

1. Ethan got his father's size and while he clearly does not have his man strength yet, when nhe does, holy crap, he's going to have some power. 
2. Ethan called his Dad "Matty" and the youngest called him Matt. I never get that, but I know some parents that go by their first names with their kids. Just seem weird to me.
3. Matt still has his man strength and would make a hell of a slow pitch softball hitter! lol... Seriously, he hit one ball at 109 MPH. I know they were using aluminum bats, but still.
4. Jackson has a line drive approach but can really sting the ball. when he fully grows into his man strength he's going to hit some homers for sure. He's not going to be a 40 homer guy, but 25-30 seems realistic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That was a fun watch. Gotta love the bat bros You Tube Channel. A couple of things i got out of this video:

1. Ethan got his father's size and while he clearly does not have his man strength yet, when nhe does, holy crap, he's going to have some power. 
2. Ethan called his Dad "Matty" and the youngest called him Matt. I never get that, but I know some parents that go by their first names with their kids. Just seem weird to me.
3. Matt still has his man strength and would make a hell of a slow pitch softball hitter! lol... Seriously, he hit one ball at 109 MPH. I know they were using aluminum bats, but still.
4. Jackson has a line drive approach but can really sting the ball. when he fully grows into his man strength he's going to hit some homers for sure. He's not going to be a 40 homer guy, but 25-30 seems realistic. 

Tony, is there a reason they would use the aluminum bats for this?  Is that simply just for the fun of it or is their a level of value to it? (I’m assuming it’s just a fun thing but there were videos of Holliday in the cage a few weeks back and I believe he was using a metal bat then too)

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, is there a reason they would use the aluminum bats for this?  Is that simply just for the fun of it or is their a level of value to it? (I’m assuming it’s just a fun thing but there were videos of Holliday in the cage a few weeks back and I believe he was using a metal bat then too)

Probably just to have more fun with it, especially with Ethan playing along. 

• Upvote 1

Back in the day when I lived in MN I became friends with Jake Mauer who was/is a coach in the Twins system.  He and his brother Joe owned a car dealership with a couple batting cages set up in the back.  One weekend Joe was in town and I was fortunate to witness their family hitting tradition.  In the cage you take an L screen and turn it sideways so it is an I.  You then side toss 10 pitches with the goal to hit the I, I saw "Joey" hit it three straight swings and 4 out of ten.  Their father always drilled into them "70% of fly balls and gounders are outs, 70 % of line drives are hits".   

2 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Back in the day when I lived in MN I became friends with Jake Mauer who was/is a coach in the Twins system.  He and his brother Joe owned a car dealership with a couple batting cages set up in the back.  One weekend Joe was in town and I was fortunate to witness their family hitting tradition.  In the cage you take an L screen and turn it sideways so it is an I.  You then side toss 10 pitches with the goal to hit the I, I saw "Joey" hit it three straight swings and 4 out of ten.  Their father always drilled into them "70% of fly balls and gounders are outs, 70 % of line drives are hits".   

Is this THE Joe Mauer?

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is this THE Joe Mauer?

Yes, I didn't really know him though-just through the family. 

It's a large family, his uncle Ken was one of the more famous NBA refs.  Even though St Paul is a cold weather city and the best athletes play hockey Molitor, Winfield, Morris and Mauer all HOF's grew up in the same neighborhood-bizarre!!

Beyond the 4 that hit the I screen there were another 4 that were that close.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

It's a large family, his uncle Ken was one of the more famous NBA refs.  Even though St Paul is a cold weather city and the best athletes play hockey Molitor, Winfield, Morris and Mauer all HOF's grew up in the same neighborhood-bizarre!!

Edited by SemperFi

31 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Beyond the 4 that hit the I screen there were another 4 that were that close.

I just thought it was funny t you mentioned "brother of Jake owner of car dealership" and not "likely HOF Twins catcher".