Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

Not a very substantial return for Verdugo.

Greg Weissert is a 29-year-old reliever who has been good in AAA, but not in MLB. Nicholas Judice is a 6’8 recently drafted (8th round) reliever who has never thrown a professional pitch. And Richard Fitts seems to be the big prize here, both for his genuinely solid performance at age 23 as a starter at AA and for the numerous potential dirty puns you can make with his name.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Not a very substantial return for Verdugo.

Greg Weissert is a 29-year-old reliever who has been good in AAA, but not in MLB. Nicholas Judice is a 6’8 recently drafted (8th round) reliever who has never thrown a professional pitch. And Richard Fitts seems to be the big prize here, both for his genuinely solid performance at age 23 as a starter at AA and for the numerous potential dirty puns you can make with his name.

This should tell you something about the trade value of Austin Hays after next season.   Verdugo was 27 last season, had an OPS+ of 100 (career 105) and was worth 2.6 rWAR last year (11.1 career).   Hays was 27 years old this year, had an OPS+ of 114 (career 107), and was worth 2.5 rWAR this year (9.0 career).   The biggest difference between them is that Verdugo has 5 years of service (651 games played), while Hays has 4 years if service (494 games).   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

This should tell you something about the trade value of Austin Hays after next season.   Verdugo was 27 last season, had an OPS+ of 100 (career 105) and was worth 2.6 rWAR last year (11.1 career).   Hays was 27 years old this year, had an OPS+ of 114 (career 107), and was worth 2.5 rWAR this year (9.0 career).   The biggest difference between them is that Verdugo has 5 years of service (651 games played), while Hays has 4 years if service (494 games).   

Eh.  The benched this dude for showing up late last season.  They wanted him out of the clubhouse.

The rarity of the trade between these two teams should show the motivation of the seller.

Hays has no such baggage.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Absolutely. The comp between Hays and Verdugo jumps off the page looking at his OPS+ and WAR numbers.

If that all Hays can bring back, you really might as well just keep him. But I also think it does speak to the desirability of exploring these contender-contender trades of surplus hitting for surplus pitching with teams like CLE, SEA, MIA, etc. 

If BOS-NYY are partnering for Evil Empires mutual benefit, clearly BAL-TB can get together and make Glasnow an Oriole.

I heard Cashman say earlier today they were looking for two outfielders and left handed balance, and I suppose this transaction means they don't expect to swing both Soto and Bellinger.

Do we wish Santander was a Yankee and we had those pitchers?

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Absolutely. The comp between Hays and Verdugo jumps off the page looking at his OPS+ and WAR numbers.

If that all Hays can bring back, you really might as well just keep him. But I also think it does speak to the desirability of exploring these contender-contender trades of surplus hitting for surplus pitching with teams like CLE, SEA, MIA, etc. 

I dunno I'd be pretty okay with Hays netting us three pitchers. 

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I remember back in the 2005-2010 era when the Orioles were terrible there were tons of trade rumors surrounding our All Star SS Miguel Tejada. I had my heart set on a deal that would send him to the Dodgers for a couple of minor league prospects named Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw, and couldn't understand why LA wouldn't pull the trigger on such a trade. It was a no brainer. Tejada was a perennial MVP contender, signed to a reasonable long term contract. How could they say no to that?

Shoe's on the other foot now. 

The O’s did get Luck Scott (and Matt Albers). So yeah do not trade any top 1-4/5 and play your hand with FA. The Braves did that with Gausman trade, ME has patience 

Edited by Since1984