Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

7 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Not me you guys are the ones who  undervalue prospects other teams prospects, I said Cowser or Kjerstad Plus Vets and lower prospects (did not say which ones) If hes worth less than Cowser? top 5 prospect in thier ORG plus 5 years of team control, so if worth less than cowser whats the value?, Norby plus Urias and Hays, Ill have some of what your smoking

You said he’s worth more than Cowser despite Cowser being a much higher rated prospect. I was talking with you about Meyer. 

7 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Yeah, but it cuts both ways less than Cowser Miami Hangs up the phone

Who said less? You’re moving the posts. I said I’d have no problem dealing Cowser for Meyer! I’d probably throw something extra in if needed. But, it shouldn’t be IMO.

9 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

I don't have confidence in Cowser to be a good hitter in MLB. Kjerstadt has hit much better than Cowser when he had his opportunity in MLB.

Cowser had 77 PAs and Kjerstad 33. I’d probably wait and see more

Meyer was the only pitcher I would have taken in that draft.  Would love to acquire him but he’s a risk now. I’m not so sure he’s worth Cowser or Kjerstad. 

ML players or guys like Ortiz or Norby or some kind of combo of that?  Sure. 

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He just has too many durability concerns to go the level you are saying.

They also may want a ML piece or 2 since they are looking to still contend.

Are you equating durability with health? Because aside from having Tommy John surgery earlier on in his career I'm not seeing a long concerning history of injuries for Luzardo. And I'm not sure it's fair to knock his durability because of his innings pitched totals prior to 2023 because Oakland was bouncing him back and forth between the bullpen and starting rotation for most of his tenure with the club. I know the Marlins have been a bit cautious with him since they acquired him, but it certainly seems like he's tracking in the right direction in terms of IPed. 57 in 2021, 100 in 2022, 178 in 2023, and I think they're going to completely cut him loose in 2024. In terms of his trade value I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be just a slight tick below someone like George Kirby. 

And if the Marlins want strictly MLB pieces then I think there's zero chance of us trading for Luzardo because we really don't have an valuable veterans to trade. Santander's a one year rental, Mullins is coming off a down year, Hays is just meh, and Mountcastle has some value (mostly because of his age, salary, and contract), but might be viewed by some as a more of a platoon bat. 

21 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Are you equating durability with health? Because aside from having Tommy John surgery earlier on in his career I'm not seeing a long concerning history of injuries for Luzardo. And I'm not sure it's fair to knock his durability because of his innings pitched totals prior to 2023 because Oakland was bouncing him back and forth between the bullpen and starting rotation for most of his tenure with the club. I know the Marlins have been a bit cautious with him since they acquired him, but it certainly seems like he's tracking in the right direction in terms of IPed. 57 in 2021, 100 in 2022, 178 in 2023, and I think they're going to completely cut him loose in 2024. In terms of his trade value I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be just a slight tick below someone like George Kirby. 

And if the Marlins want strictly MLB pieces then I think there's zero chance of us trading for Luzardo because we really don't have a valuable veterans to trade. Santander's a one year rental, Mullins is coming off a down year, Hays is just meh, and Mountcastle has some value (mostly because of his age, salary, and contract), but might be viewed by some as a more of a platoon bat. 

This was the first year he went over 101 IP in his several years as a big leaguer. It’s just not enough innings. That can’t be overlooked no matter what the circumstances behind the lack of innings are.

Also, once you have had one TJ surgery, you are more likely to have a second one. It’s just a major concern. I would deal for him but I’m not even considering our top top guys.

And I don’t think they would want only proven ML assets but I think they would want someone(s) coming back as part of the deal that have had ML success.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Who said less? You’re moving the posts. I said I’d have no problem dealing Cowser for Meyer! I’d probably throw something extra in if needed. But, it shouldn’t be IMO.

Well then were basically on the same page, throw in Mateo or Urias and some other prospect outside the top 20. At one time he was ranked as 25, he hasn't picthed in a year and half because of TJ. He has as  big a pedigree as Cowser, He was drafted 3rd overall, 6 million signing bonus, 5 years of team control, If hes even available hes going to cost. How would we  value him if he was ours?    

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This was the first year he went over 101 IP in his several years as a big leaguer. It’s just not enough innings. That can’t be overlooked no matter what the circumstances behind the lack of innings are.

Also, once you have had one TJ surgery, you are more likely to have a second one. It’s just a major concern. I would deal for him but I’m not even considering our top top guys.

And I don’t think they would want only proven ML assets but I think they would want someone(s) coming back as part of the deal that have had ML success.

LOL at you using 101 innings (instead of the standard 100) to make your point, but I get it. I just think it's less of a stretch for the Marlins to sell Luzardo as what he did in 2023 (and chalk the prior seasons up to development) than it is for the White Sox to try to ignore what Cease did in 2023 and try to sell his 2022 season as the norm. 

15 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Here's a question. Assuming these three trades are on the table, which one are you making? 

1) Mountcastle + Willems for E. Cabrera

3) Norby + Santander for M. Meyer

4) Basallo + Cowser for Luzardo

I actually think Mountcastle might have his career year this year so I’m curious to see what he does but if those are my only choices, then #1.   #2 is tempting but I’m not sure if Max Meyer is all that.

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Well then were basically on the same page, throw in Mateo or Urias and some other prospect outside the top 20. At one time he was ranked as 25, he hasn't picthed in a year and half because of TJ. He has as  big a pedigree as Cowser, He was drafted 3rd overall, 6 million signing bonus, 5 years of team control, If hes even available hes going to cost. How would we  value him if he was ours?    

Cowser > M. Meyer IMO. He has an extra year of pre-arb control and he doesn't have any health concerns/isn't coming back from a major injury. He's also a year younger. 

21 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Here's a question. Assuming these three trades are on the table, which one are you making? 

1) Mountcastle + Willems for E. Cabrera

3) Norby + Santander for M. Meyer

4) Basallo + Cowser for Luzardo

1 all day for me.