Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

The Angelos’s obviously are not willing/able to spend anything. As long as John is in charge I expect payroll in the bottom 5-10. With new ownership, and one who’s independently wealthy, you’d expect payroll to be commensurate with the product on the field. Maybe not Top 10 regularly, but in seasons where it calls for it. I would imagine an owner like this would have his focus more on the price paid when he bought the team versus when he sells the team. Not how much can I take out of the team yearly, like John. 

53 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The Angelos’s obviously are not willing/able to spend anything. As long as John is in charge I expect payroll in the bottom 5-10. With new ownership, and one who’s independently wealthy, you’d expect payroll to be commensurate with the product on the field. Maybe not Top 10 regularly, but in seasons where it calls for it. I would imagine an owner like this would have his focus more on the price paid when he bought the team versus when he sells the team. Not how much can I take out of the team yearly, like John. 

You know, people keep saying this, but this dude, for all the money he has "massaged" (was that the term), can't buy this team in cash, or get anywhere near it.

He's planning on running them for a annual profit.  You better believe that.

Edited by Pickles

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You know, people keep saying this, but this dude, for all the money he has "massaged" (was that the term), can't buy this team in cash, or get anywhere near it.

He's planning on running them for a year profit.  You better believe that.

Major League Baseball is not going to approve an owner who doesn’t have the cash to buy this or any franchise.  This won’t be an episode on HGTV called “Flip this baseball team.”  I am pretty positive MLB isn’t happy about the current ownership situation of the Orioles.  The person running the team has zero or next to zero source of income besides the ball club itself.  Most people who inherit an asset like this also inherit his daddy’s other source of income along with it.  In this unusual case the other source of income of Peter Angelos (his law practice) dried up to nothing because of him becoming incapacitated.  

When the Orioles or any other team is sold it will be to someone who has the money to run the franchise.  This is being widely reported now so I have to believe there is something to it.  I suspect soon we will be hearing an update on the health of Peter Angelos.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Major League Baseball is not going to approve an owner who doesn’t have the cash to buy this or any franchise.  This won’t be an episode on HGTV called “Flip this baseball team.”  I am pretty positive MLB isn’t happy about the current ownership situation of the Orioles.  The person running the team has zero or next to zero source of income besides the ball club itself.  Most people who inherit an asset like this also inherit his daddy’s other source of income along with it.  In this unusual case the other source of income of Peter Angelos (his law practice) dried up to nothing because of him becoming incapacitated.  

When the Orioles or any other team is sold it will be to someone who has the money to run the franchise.  This is being widely reported now so I have to believe there is something to it.  I suspect soon we will be hearing an update on the health of Peter Angelos.  

None of this is in any contradiction to what I have stated.

1 hour ago, Br10n said:

I am just saying, nothing business wise says he will be the owner we want.  I was one of thousands of Marylanders that lost their jobs when his group took a Fortune 500 company from greatness to bankruptcy while he made millions and there was no regard for the Marylanders who's lives destroyed.  

I’m sorry that happened to you. Capitalism can be brutal. But there’s basically no way for this guy to squeeze significant cash out of the Orioles. 

52 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's planning on running them for a annual profit.  You better believe that.

What do you reckon the maximum payroll he could run and still realize an annual profit?

Edited by 24fps

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

What do you reckon the maximum payroll he could run to realize and annual profit?

There's macro stuff involved of course, but I'd say 150.

People comparing it to Cohen are way misguided.

1) Cohen is worth a lot more money.

2) The Mets are a much better money stream.

Edit: And I should add: running it at 150 annually is probably not the best way to make money for the shareholders.

Edited by Pickles

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Decent guess.  They’ve spent that before.  Of course, at the time they weren’t spending nearly as much on infrastructure, analytics, international amateurs, etc.  But 150 is in the ballpark, especially if the team is winning, and therefore attendance, TV ratings and merchandise sales are all strong.   

The amount the O’s are spending now is tens of millions below what they are capable of spending, even at current attendance levels etc.  

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Edit: And I should add: running it at 150 annually is probably not the best way to make money for the shareholders.

That's Twins, Cardinals, Mariners territory and over twice the Orioles active payroll for 2023.  Which I'll take in a heartbeat if Elias is General Manager.

Or maybe he's a hard-drinking, swashbuckling Master of the Universe whose sole purpose in this advanced stage of life is to make Steve Cohen look like a pretender.  I think we don't know what his motives really are and the sensible thing to do is let thing play out and see.  I suppose anything is possible, but I'm more than ready to close the book on the Angelos era come what may.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I actually don’t want a Cohen type owner and certainly don’t expect the Orioles to be purchased by someone willing to spend that kind of dumb money. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Decent guess.  They’ve spent that before.  Of course, at the time they weren’t spending nearly as much on infrastructure, analytics, international amateurs, etc.  But 150 is in the ballpark, especially if the team is winning, and therefore attendance, TV ratings and merchandise sales are all strong.   

The amount the O’s are spending now is tens of millions below what they are capable of spending, even at current attendance levels etc.  

I'm glad we can agree.  That makes me feel good we have the same projection.

We always knew they had to sell because the Angelos kids can't generate the independent income necessary.

I'll say this: If new ownership plans on running an annual profit, things aren't going to change radically in terms of major league payroll.  Other than, and this is very important, the natural salary progression of a young, successful team.

But it would take ownership being willing to take a very modest annual profit to run 150 annual MLB payroll.