Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

None of that also has to do with your initial panic that this guy might not live another 10 years and the fear that we'd have to go through the rigors of another sale of the team, but here we are.  

I also never said that I delve into debates on semantics, that's just you putting words in my mouth which is another wheelhouse of yours. :) 

Oh, you poor abused soul.  I apologize for my bullying of you.  ;)

Panic?  Well, I hate to make a semantic argument, but you could hardly classify my initial post which you objected to as panicked.  That would certainly be putting words in my mouth.

I have a right to be skeptical about this guy, or any new owner, thank you very much.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not really.

First, he started his VC fund with a group of people, it wasn't just him.  Their backgrounds were in finance and government and it started with a fairly modest sum of money, like 5-10 million.  They acquired a lot of companies based in defense and there's a lot of money in that.  

You make it seem like he did it overnight, the Carlyle Group started in the mid to late 80s, this just didn't happen all of a sudden.  

Did I say his gross corruption happened over night, or is that putting words in my mouth?

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Cutting corners is one thing.  Gross corruption is one thing.

I find the guy's career arc interesting.

He's a government lawyer.  He starts a VC fund in DC.  He becomes a billionaire.  He gives a lot of "charity" to government organizations.  That's a tidy little loop there, isn't it?

I’m sure he did some shady things…as all rich people do. So what?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s quite an accusation from somebody who knows almost nothing about the guy.  

For me, I want an owner who doesn’t need revenue from his ballclub to finance his lifestyle, and can basically run the team on a break-even basis and be happy.  

I know about the guy, well in advance of these rumors.  Don't forget guys, I grew up in DC too.  I know how the town works.

I'm not trying to get too high and mighty here, belive it or not.

I'm just skeptical, and no, I don't believe ANY ownership change is automatically GOOD ownership change, as seems to be the default setting around here.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

If true, does this mean Peter would be close to passing? Otherwise, aren't there massive tax implications or whathaveyou?

I wonder if there's an owner in waiting type of deal possible. I think Abe Pollin did that with Ted Leonsis back in the day.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Oh, you poor abused soul.  I apologize for my bullying of you.  ;)

Panic?  Well, I hate to make a semantic argument, but you could hardly classify my initial post which you objected to as panicked.  That would certainly be putting words in my mouth.

I have a right to be skeptical about this guy, or any new owner, thank you very much.

I never said you said that you said you were panicked.  However, that's how you came across (a slight exaggeration on my part but I can't help myself).  But I'm glad we can agree that his age and chance to pass on in the next 10 years was your initial concern.  

For your information, the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint, so you certainly do have the right to be skeptical about Rubenstein or anyone else and voice those opinions.  I do love it when people talk about their rights as if someone is trying to take them away.  I'm just pointing out how silly you are.

• Upvote 1