MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is enough depth you can do both, particularly if you are also willing to spend in the upper part of the bottom third in payroll.

It doesn't help the ML team to have three backup outfielders in AAA that could step in.  What's the likely value, at the ML level, of that third guy? 

Not all guys are going to succeed.  Of those 3 backup outfielders likely only 1 becomes an impact player.   How do you know who that will be?

I think there is something to be said to having an incredibly talented player ahead of you trying to leap frog as well as having an incredibly talented guy behind you pushing to take your spot.  

44 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Yes they can. Norby isn’t  on the 40 man.   They finished last year with those guys (minus Norby) and Frazier on the 26 man.    They have 7 SP candidates going into the year.  An additional SP would be nice and depth is good, but they don’t have to do something for the sake of doing something.  They can take a slow and methodical approach because they’ve put themselves in a position to do so.  

I don't think they can. I guess we'll see. I believe Elias is smarter than that. I'm sure every MLB team could identify 7-10 SP "candidates," even the teams who have been adding like crazy this winter. Heck, we had 7 candidates when we were losing 100-plus.

Just now, emmett16 said:

I think there is something to be said to having an incredibly talented player ahead of you trying to leap frog as well as having an incredibly talented guy behind you pushing to take your spot.  

I don't think so.

I think mostly these guys are self motivated.

I think you are as likely to end up with someone being frustrated and their level of play suffering because they are still riding buses when their work should be resulting in their being in the majors.

I mean, if we are going to be playing armchair psychoanalysts.

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If I'm playing devil's advocate...

1) G-Rod and Wells were so bad for part of the season that they both were demoted. 

2) Means is an injury risk and probably on some sort if innings limitation. 

3) Kremer and Irvin are barely MLB caliber starting pitchers. 

4) By the end of the year (when you think our AAA guys will be ready) we could be out of contention. 

Thats all fair.  But I think you’d also agree there is upside in all 7 guys except maybe Means (who has likely reached his ceiling). We aren’t talking about a bunch of randos we are hoping and praying have success.  

Edited by emmett16

28 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If I'm playing devil's advocate...

1) G-Rod and Wells were so bad for part of the season that they both were demoted. 

2) Means is an injury risk and probably on some sort if innings limitation. 

3) Kremer and Irvin are barely MLB caliber starting pitchers. 

4) By the end of the year (when you think our AAA guys will be ready) we could be out of contention. 

I agree with most of this, but Kremer is a #4 starter on a lot of teams.  One injury, the Rays and Dodgers had to deal w/ multiple SP injuries, and the starting rotation looks way less impressive.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think so.

I think mostly these guys are self motivated.

I think you are as likely to end up with someone being frustrated and their level of play suffering because they are still riding buses when their work should be resulting in their being in the majors.

I mean, if we are going to be playing armchair psychoanalysts.

I couldn't disagree more.  

Of course they are self motivated, they are professional athletes and understand what they signed up for.  

Having high end talent throughout the system raises the bar.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  

Of course they are self motivated, they are professional athletes and understand what they signed up for.  

Having high end talent throughout the system raises the bar.  

And being stuck with no chance of promotion has never been an issue in a workplace.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And being stuck with no chance of promotion has never been an issue in a workplace.

Of course they have a chance for promotion.  Beat out the guy in front of them.

You think the org. has something against certain players and is trying to hold them back?

If they truly are MLB caliber, the development and improvement from the high-end competition will benefit them in the long run.  

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can you "beat out the guy in front of you" when you are in Norfolk and they are in Baltimore?  How can you beat out Gunnar or Adley?  You would be OK knowing you could be in the majors if you were in another organization? 

You can quit or you can do everything you possibly can to get better.  Hence raising the bar and competition improving everyone.  They aren’t playing for the O’s.  They are playing for all 30 MLB teams. 

I thought we weren’t  getting into armchair psychoanalysis? 

Edited by emmett16
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It has, but in the real world, you have the option to quit and go to another company.  That's not an option for these players in the minors.  The only way to the majors is playing better than those in front of you or getting traded to another "company"

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You would be OK knowing you could be in the majors if you were in another organization? 

If I'm a minor league player, I'm not ok with it but it's not an issue in my "workplace" because I continue to play at an elite level to get promoted to MLB or traded to another organization.   

24 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

They are playing for all 30 MLB teams. 

But they aren't playing for all 30 MLB because Elias is seemingly unwilling to trade them.

Wasn't that your point?  That we need this deep depth and can't be trading these guys to the other teams?

1 minute ago, MGH5208 said:

It has, but in the real world, you have the option to quit and go to another company.  That's not an option for these players in the minors.  The only way to the majors is playing better than those in front of you or getting traded to another "company"

If I'm a minor league player, I'm not ok with it but it's not an issue in my "workplace" because I continue to play at an elite level to get promoted to MLB or traded to another organization.   

But once again, he isn't trading anyone playing "at an elite level".

What do you do if you are a Connor Norby?

Now obviously I hope everyone stays focused and they all work together but there is, IMO as much chance of this situation turning sour as there is it increasing everyone's level of play.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they aren't playing for all 30 MLB because Elias is seemingly unwilling to trade them.

Really?  

He hasn't traded any minor league players over the last couple of years?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But once again, he isn't trading anyone playing "at an elite level".

Typical that you take one part of a post to spin your BS.

My pint was that a player doesn't stop trying to play at an elite level just because he isn't being promoted.  He continues to perform to the best of his ability to either get promoted or traded......but you knew that