MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

4 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Little bit surprising we’ve seen so few rumors about FA SP. Has there been anything about Stroman?

Given Stroman’s age (33 in May), he is likely the only higher quality FA SP in the Orioles’ range for years. He also doesn’t have a QO attached. He’s probably gunning for a 3 yr deal a bit below Gray, but I’m not sure he’ll get that. He had such a poor finish last year he’ll probably get something in the range between Gray and Maeda. 

If the Orioles aren’t able to pull off a trade for a SP, Stroman might be the best FA we could realistically hope for.

You're making a stroman argument.  🙂

5 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Little bit surprising we’ve seen so few rumors about FA SP. Has there been anything about Stroman?

Given Stroman’s age (33 in May), he is likely the only higher quality FA SP in the Orioles’ range for years. He also doesn’t have a QO attached. He’s probably gunning for a 3 yr deal a bit below Gray, but I’m not sure he’ll get that. He had such a poor finish last year he’ll probably get something in the range between Gray and Maeda. 

If the Orioles aren’t able to pull off a trade for a SP, Stroman might be the best FA we could realistically hope for.

No interest in Stroman 

honestly, we need to clear space on the roster. It seems to me that they need to find a trade partner or two.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No interest in Stroman 

honestly, we need to clear space on the roster. It seems to me that they need to find a trade partner or two.

I'm interested in Stroman depending on the prospect price of trades for SPs that are equal or better than Stroman. If they were to sign Stroman and not trade away any prospects, they could trade a Hays/Santander/Mountcastle for pitching prospects to balance the roster math back out. I doubt this is being strongly considered though.

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm interested in Stroman depending on the prospect price of trades for SPs that are equal or better than Stroman. If they were to sign Stroman and not trade away any prospects, they could trade a Hays/Santander/Mountcastle for pitching prospects to balance the roster math back out. I doubt this is being strongly considered though.

If Elias can’t talk Dipoto into a trade he might as well resign as GM. He basically will trade anything not nailed down 

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Lugo at 3/45 is terrible news for the FA SP market that we’re likely shopping in. 

In one way, yeah. But it's kind of a fair deal really. $15 AAV for a solid SP sounds right, and only $2 more than Kimbrel. 

But I agree where before I thought it was possible to get Wacha on a 2-year deal, now I don't know. I don't think we will be getting a SP via free agency at this point. Trade or bust. 

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

No interest in Stroman 

I’m not a Stroman fan at all but I’d rather start him in a playoff game than Kremer. I’d rather add him than likely all of the free agent SP that will sign lesser contracts than him. 

A trade remains by far the best route if they are not willing to pay for Snell and Montgomery (and they won’t be). But if they can’t pull off a trade, I’d rather Stroman than nothing. 

There are plenty of free agent SP where I’d rather just roll with Wells, Hall or Irvin if it came to it. Wacha is pretty much that line where I’m ambivalent, I’d pass on any significant contract for him. Stroman is well above that level. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

In one way, yeah. But it's kind of a fair deal really. $15 AAV for a solid SP sounds right, and only $2 more than Kimbrel. 

But I agree where before I thought it was possible to get Wacha on a 2-year deal, now I don't know. I don't think we will be getting a SP via free agency at this point. Trade or bust. 

But we were already told that the cost in prospects is higher than expected.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It’s not the $15 AAV, it’s the $15 AAV and 3 years. I would not have been surprised by 2/30, or adding some option/buyout/opt out value to that. But for 3 years for Lugo I would have expected a lower AAV.

Elias is not going to hand out a 3 year contract for a Lugo quality SP. I’d be stunned if that happened. If other free agents in Lugo’s tier are looking for that they are not coming here. 

13 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I’m not a Stroman fan at all but I’d rather start him in a playoff game than Kremer. I’d rather add him than likely all of the free agent SP that will sign lesser contracts than him. 

A trade remains by far the best route if they are not willing to pay for Snell and Montgomery (and they won’t be). But if they can’t pull off a trade, I’d rather Stroman than nothing. 

There are plenty of free agent SP where I’d rather just roll with Wells, Hall or Irvin if it came to it. Wacha is pretty much that line where I’m ambivalent, I’d pass on any significant contract for him. Stroman is well above that level. 

I think you need to give Kremer a chance to develop or he will never do it. Same with Bradish and Gonzalez. We can get a good young starter for the guys 4 or 5 that we want to clear off the MLB roster and a slew of prospects that we have. I dont find any value in a free agency if we dont clear the log jam on the roster. Plus Im tired of the one year deals (Lyles, Gibson, )