MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Rockies DFA'd Hilliard. $10 says we grab him again like we did with Burdick. 

Yes, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the Hilliard news today.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/guardians-myles-straw-waivers.html#google_vignette

I don't know what's happened with Straw the last couple of years in CLE.  But he's had his worst seasons at normally peak ages.  Org philosophy maybe?  In HOU and his first half season with CLE, his OBP was around .360.  His last two years, his OBP is a lackluster .300ish and splits are much better either.  Plus speed, solid CF defense.  I bet he gets an ML gig, but he'd be a solid AAA insurance policy.

Just now, btdart20 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/guardians-myles-straw-waivers.html#google_vignette

I don't know what's happened with Straw the last couple of years in CLE.  But he's had his worst seasons at normally peak ages.  Org philosophy maybe?  In HOU and his first half season with CLE, his OBP was around .360.  His last two years, his OBP is a lackluster .300ish and splits are much better either.  Plus speed, solid CF defense.  I bet he gets an ML gig, but he'd be a solid AAA insurance policy.

I should read the article and not just headlines...  Quite the contract for an insurance policy.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:46 PM, btdart20 said:

I should read the article and not just headlines...  Quite the contract for an insurance policy.

He would make sense but obviously only if they just let him go. I would guess they stash him at AAA. 

Edited by eddie83

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Since the Rockies did this, I assume it’s prima facie stupid.

I mean, kind of, yeah. He barely hit in Coors Field and was even worse everywhere else. Good defender, but his 30+ doubles did not keep him from a 77 OPS+. I guess there's some upside and at least he plays good D, but... not sure what the rush was. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean, kind of, yeah. He barely hit in Coors Field and was even worse everywhere else. Good defender, but his 30+ doubles did not keep him from a 77 OPS+. I guess there's some upside and at least he plays good D, but... not sure what the rush was. 

I was being a little flippant. 2.5 rWAR, 1.6 fWAR as a 21-year old rookie is pretty decent.   The price does sound a little high for a glove-first SS.   I guess it could work out if his bat develops some as he matures.   

On 3/21/2024 at 12:46 PM, interloper said:

Rockies DFA'd Hilliard. $10 says we grab him again like we did with Burdick. 

The Rockies only DFA’d Hilliard because they traded for Jake Cave. Elias’ moves. Hilliard then cleared waivers and was outrighted to Colorado’s AAA team. 

How much salary will the Mets pickup when they trade JD Martinez at the deadline?

Lorenzen got the deal I have been talked about. Not surprised he had to settle for so little. I would have offered him what he got but the state tax stuff means the Os probably have to offer a decent amount more and I’m not sure I do that.  OTOH, what’s another 1-2M if you are trying to win?

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lorenzen got the deal I have been talked about. Not surprised he had to settle for so little. I would have offered him what he got but the state tax stuff means the Os probably have to offer a decent amount more and I’m not sure I do that.  OTOH, what’s another 1-2M if you are trying to win?

Agreed. Until the sale goes through we’re a “poor team”. Hopefully, the sale goes through before the trade deadline. 

What about that weird clause that JA is going to be some type of advisor/consultant for year one of Rubenstein?  That worries me because we know what JA will advise.