Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If the Angels were netting well in excess of $70 million per year on Ohtani alone, it seems to me that they would be well aware of that.  I wonder why they didn't offer him what the Dodgers offered then.

How much more would the Angels have to offer for you to pick them over the Dodgers?

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d be surprised if Bellinger doesn’t end up in Toronto.

BJs apparently put a very  competitive offer on the table for Othani.

I really hope so. And I hope they get hoodwinked into a long deal too. It’s mind boggling to me that some teams are willing to completely overlook the last few years for a guy who somewhat rebounded but also hit into a bit of luck right before his free agency. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I really hope so. And I hope they get hoodwinked into a long deal too. It’s mind boggling to me that some teams are willing to completely overlook the last few years for a guy who somewhat rebounded but also hit into a bit of luck right before his free agency. 

I don’t necessarily disagree but it’s also possible the shoulder injury just took a long time to heal and last year was the first time he was healthy in a few years.

I think they give him a stupid contract though.

Edited by Sports Guy

Stupid?? Not sure....most thought the first million $ contract was stupid, same for 10, 50, and so on. It will become the new norm for "great" players. Look at football, every new QB contract has to exceed the previous one. If people think that won't happen welcome to denialism.

I have two (maybe more) main objectives: 1) It enhances the haves and the have not franchises. 2) News media, MLB website will continue highlighting Oh, Judge...whether they go 0-4 with 3 K's, or 4-4 with 2HR's. The individual players become the game not the team(s). 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’ve seen other estimates from 10-25M in Ohtani generated team revenue.  The guesstimates are all over the place.

I'm sure the Dodgers and Blue Jays had some talented and expensive number-crunchers do the math several times and came out with predicted outcomes closer to reality that anything you're likely to see in print, at least for a while.

I also believe that they used the most optimistic interpretations of those outcomes to make their decision and charged full speed ahead without a second thought.  The money at the disposal of the Dodgers, Yankees and a few other teams provides a cushion that allows them to exist in a place unfamiliar to the rest of MLB.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, RZNJ said:

On March 30, 1966, famed Los Angeles Dodgers pitchers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale ended their double holdout by signing new contracts for $130,000 and $105,000, respectively. Their holdout during Spring Training lasted 32 days.

The two future Hall of Famers demanded a combined $1 million over three years. They fell short of that but ultimately signed for more than what the Dodgers had initially offered to the hurlers.

Although revered for their contributions on the field, Koufax and Drysdale were the subject of plenty of public criticism and frustration from fans. The situation is widely considered the first time players banded together and is credited for altering the economics of baseball.

https://dodgerblue.com/this-day-dodgers-history-don-drysdale-sandy-koufax-sign-contracts-end-double-holdout/2023/03/30/

Nice info thanks. On this board I think I am a huge minority... I think more like an owner than a player I suppose. For me, there is no player worth more than $30mil a year and that would be a very  select few. I don't care how much money the owners make. This league needs a salary cap / floor badly.   Do you think having a small handful of cities able to collect all the best players is part of a reason why MLB is more of a regional sport and not national? Is the NFL model better for business generally and assists in it's national following? Or these models have nothing to do with it? 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but it’s also possible the shoulder injury just took a long time to heal and last year was the first time he was healthy in a few years.

I think they give him a stupid contract though.

It's crazy that any team would consider giving Bellinger over 3 years.  This is a guy who was a replacement level player for a few years before 2023.