Roch wants us to lower expectations

Sports Guy

I think Elias never suggested we were going after a no. 1 starter.  I had zero expectations for that.   There’s no “pivot” there at all.   

I do think he’s preparing us for someone a little further down the food chain than before, saying he’s looking to “upgrade the third or the fourth spot in the rotation.”   Before he said he was looking for someone who fit in the “top half” of our rotation, which I understood to mean a top 3 starter.   

I figured we weren’t going to do much. It was nice to get our hopes up for the likes of Cease, Burnes, Marlins/ Mariners arms. This could also be a ploy to send the message to the other teams to drop the price. Roch should have to answer the question, why? Is because we are saving resources for long term contracts with Bradish, Grayson, Holliday, Henderson, or Rutchman? Is it because we are just cheap? Someone should have to answer the questions. The organization made a lot of money during some of the fall weekend series. The Yankees series I was estimating 10 million dollars with 120 k fans. 

I've been a bit of a broken record about this, but I still think a 2 year deal for Wacha makes a lot of sense to solidify the rotation as an upgrade over Gibson. It's not sexy by any means but it works and you can sell him as 3-4 and not a 5. He's better than Kremer and maybe even Means since he's a wild card.

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been a bit of a broken record about this, but I still think a 2 year deal for Wacha makes a lot of sense to solidify the rotation as an upgrade over Gibson. It's not sexy by any means but it works and you can sell it him as 3-4 and not a 5. He's better than Kremer and likely Means since he's a wild card.

I’m fine with Wacha. Wanted him last year.