Framber Valdez vs everyone else

Billy F-Face3

Honestly, just the fact that HOU had him on the trade block gives me pause.  They know their guys and they want to win.  I get the finance piece, but don’t really buy that.  I think they have a good feeling he’s not gonna produce if they are looking to trade him.  Seems like a 🚩

33 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I would do that. 

This article I wrote has another proposal: Hays, Westburg, Baumann, and Beavers.  I'm sure most on here would do it in a second, but it provides a different perspective seeing as the Astros likely want to upgrade their OF (moving Chas to center) and stay competitive.

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/should-the-orioles-trade-for-this-starter-from-an-al-rival-01hj6z54ecqh

13 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This article I wrote has another proposal: Hays, Westburg, Baumann, and Beavers.  I'm sure most on here would do it in a second, but it provides a different perspective seeing as the Astros likely want to upgrade their OF (moving Chas to center) and stay competitive.

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/should-the-orioles-trade-for-this-starter-from-an-al-rival-01hj6z54ecqh

I would do either trade but would prefer the 2nd trade as I want to hang onto Povich.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd swap Ortiz for Westburg and maybe someone like Armbruester instead of Beavers. 

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Would you do this deal?

Yes. That's a fair trade.

If somehow the Orioles could finagle their way in keeping Povich and put in another pitcher such as McDermott, Irvin, or even Wells, then I would prefer that. I like Povich being left handed and I like his ceiling/potential. (Some here would advocate that McDermott is a better prospect, but the team needs more balance in the rotation from having so many RHP, IMO.)

My guess is that Elias has offers out to several teams that have shown willingness to move a controllable starter.  I'm thinking he is more interested in pitchers that have at least 2 years of control.  He probably has a price point he is willing to go to in each trade but offered short of that initially knowing that teams would request more than they would be willing to take.  Hopefully the gap is narrowing in at least a couple of those potential deals and a trade will be made soon.  Elias is so secretive, I wonder if he leaked the O's interest in Valdez on purpose.  Let the WS and Marlins know they're not the only teams that have a starting pitcher the O's are interested in. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

My guess is that Elias has offers out to several teams that have shown willingness to move a controllable starter.  I'm thinking he is more interested in pitchers that have at least 2 years of control.  He probably has a price point he is willing to go to in each trade but offered short of that initially knowing that teams would request more than they would be willing to take.  Hopefully the gap is narrowing in at least a couple of those potential deals and a trade will be made soon.  Elias is so secretive, I wonder if he leaked the O's interest in Valdez on purpose.  Let the WS and Marlins know they're not the only teams that have a starting pitcher the O's are interested in. 

Valdez has 2 years of control, IIRC. And Elias is looking at all options. I read an article on MLB last night that said the Orioles were one of the teams connected to free agent Marcus Stroman.