Framber Valdez vs everyone else

Billy F-Face3

On 12/28/2023 at 3:04 PM, Yardball85 said:

This article I wrote has another proposal: Hays, Westburg, Baumann, and Beavers.  I'm sure most on here would do it in a second, but it provides a different perspective seeing as the Astros likely want to upgrade their OF (moving Chas to center) and stay competitive.

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/should-the-orioles-trade-for-this-starter-from-an-al-rival-01hj6z54ecqh

I would agree to subbing out Westburg and adding Ortiz here but if I am sending four players to the Astros I want another name coming back besides Valdez.  

• 2 weeks later...

So does the recent signing of Josh Hader make it more or less likely the Astros look to move Framber? They are currently estimated to have a payroll of $239 MM for 2024. Valdez will receive $12.1 MM for 2024 and then be a FA in 2025. He will earn the most out of all of their Arb eligible players. 

They have also not attempted to extend Bregman, Altuve, Tucker or Kendall Graveman. All of whom will also be FA in 2025. Seems like they might need to shed a little salary. 

Edited by Jim'sKid26

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So does the recent signing of Josh Hader make it more or less likely the Astros look to move Framber? They are currently estimated to have a payroll of $239 MM for 2024. Valdez will receive $12.1 MM for 2024 and then be a FA in 2025. He will earn the most out of all of their Arb eligible players. 

They have also not attempted to extend Bregman, Altuve, Tucker or Kendall Graveman. All of whom will also be FA in 2025. Seems like they might need to shed a little salary. 

If they believe in Javier, Brown and to a lesser extent France (I really don't think he's that good) then I could see them maybe considering trading Framber. It would be a risky move though. Javier took a huge step backwards last season and Brown completely flamed out in the second half. 

34 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Framber and Tucker have two more years of control 2024 and 2025.  Bergman Altuve and Graveman are free agents after this year.  

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Hader got less money than Diaz. I hope his ego can recover, I heard he wanted more by even a dollar according to MLB Radio chatter.

He could have deferred most of his money by 10-20 years and he could have gotten it if that was the only thing that mattered. 

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

Hader got less money than Diaz. I hope his ego can recover, I heard he wanted more by even a dollar according to MLB Radio chatter.

When you account for deferrals, he got more in present value making the contract a bigger cap hit than Diaz's. So he kind of got more money I guess?

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He could have deferred most of his money by 10-20 years and he could have gotten it if that was the only thing that mattered. 

I'm sure it mattered, the market wasn't paying him Diaz money. He'll fit right in with that team, I'd rather not pay 95M to a prima donna who doesn't want to take the ball when he's asked.

10 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

When you account for deferrals, he got more in present value making the contract a bigger cap hit than Diaz's. So he kind of got more money I guess?

Sure, Diaz deferred nearly 27M dollars until 2042, the Mets love paying players for decades. Hader comes out ahead by 1.5M dollars or so. He thought he was getting 100M+ according to talking heads on the radio for the past couple of months. Still, 5/102 looks better than 5/95. :)

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Framber and Tucker have two more years of control 2024 and 2025.  Bergman Altuve and Graveman are free agents after this year.  

You are correct on Tucker, my mistake. I also forgot that Framber was a super-2. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/payroll/ is a little confusing that way. Thanks for the correction.

10 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

Has there been any rumors about Valdez recently?   With Hader acquisition, is this pretty much not being considered for Houston?

I’m not sure  it was ever truly being considered.

Edited by Sports Guy