Agent on Coby Mayo: "Now you ask teams and they’d all take him in the first round"

RZNJ

Considering the agent source, I thought the comments on his 3B capability were lukewarm.

Before Mullins' last 2 years end, I think we'll get to a moment Mullins-Adley-Gunnar-Kjerstad-Mayo-Cowser-Holliday-Basallo are a tier above the rest of the Orioles Bats.    Assuming EBJ holds serve as a future Devon White kind of performer, the Club has that Elite Eight at least through Adley's Final Four seasons.

If 3B Mayo, 1B/DH Basallo is possible, then the last bat can be 1B/DH Mountcastle, or EBJ can make Kjerstad a DH.    The 9th guy doesn't have to clear any big defensive demands.

If Mayo can't cover 3B, it opens a starting role for Westburg (or Ortiz, or Norby, with infielders flexing around), but the Club loses the opportunity to pick almost any potent Bat they want for a 9th guy day to day.   And it loses Westburg for the Chris Taylor gig.

Re: 3B — I read the quote from his agent more so about highlighting his positional versatility (which appeals to Os brass) as a nod to getting to big leagues sooner (the “early in his career” comment).

Very curious as to how Mayo is deployed in spring training and how his defense plays at all of those spots. 

Edited by Say O!

The rundown on Mayo's games off 3B, 2021-2023:

'21: all 3B, except 1 complex league game he moved to shortstop mid-game.

'22: all 3B, except 2 games at Bowie.

'23: 22% of his non-DH starts were over at 1B.     The proportion did increase from ~10% at Bowie to ~33% at Norfolk.

Ala Trey Mancini, it looks like he has never played the outfield in the Minors.    

I think Gunnar is settling in as the shortstop, so the 3B path is relatively open, but granted that could be night and day if Gunnar gets put at Jose Ramirez's position instead of Corey Seager's.     The agent may just have been hedging for that possibility, since Gunnar's one of the few young baseballers Mayo probably couldn't outplay for a job.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/agent-on-coby-mayo

Didn't see this latest Roch blog entry posted anywhere yet. Found some interesting tidbits about Mayo's makeup and work ethic. Like most of us I tend to equate whatever Kubatko says as a press release from the FO, so it's mostly about reading between the lines. I don't really care for the bit about Holliday possibly making the team out of Spring Training but Mayo likely returning to AAA until a spot opens up for him. It makes it sound like for Mayo at least the organization is waiting for something to happen (such as an injury or such) rather than making something happen that would open a roster spot for him. If Holliday's 2023 performance + a good Spring force the team to take him north in March then the same standard should hold for Mayo. 

Also -- we just had an interesting discussion wrt how the 2019 amateur draft would shake out today. There were a hundred or so guys drafted in 2020 before we grabbed Mayo. If teams had a do over would he go in the first round? Maybe in the top ten? 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Who would  the Orioles take at 1:2?   Kjerstad, Mayo, or Westburg?

Everything being equal, if they had a crystal ball they'd have chosen either Kjerstad or Mayo, with Westburg being a distant third. I'm guessing they'd go with Mayo as he appears to be a more complete player, plus Kjerstad's (unforeseen at that point) health issues. 

I'm still not clear on how Coby Mayo was still available in the 4th round. Did every other team think he was going to college no matter what?

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Interesting that Mayo trains with 1B  Anthony Rizzo.   I think of Rizzi as a having a good glove at 1B.   Maybe Mayo is getting some pointers from him.

Rizzo and Mayo both went to Stoneman Douglas. So did Jesus Luzardo.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Another piece, this one interviewing Mayo’s offseason trainer.  https://www.masnsports.com/blog/trainer-on-coby-mayo

Fascinating read. Thank you and Happy New Year to you, @Frobby

This quote is extremely encouraging and makes you appreciate who CM is as a human being. He appears to be a good one.

“I watched Coby dedicate himself to his profession, but (last) year, after him being away another year on his own, living on his own, playing ball and thriving – thank you God – he’s going to be that leader. He’s got it. He’s aware of the situations, whatever they are. He has full awareness and he’s present and he’s understanding all that needs to be done in that present situation and environment. He’s there. I see him looking after other guys who train, because sometimes we have some groups. I see Coby having that leadership awareness that’s necessary to make the right call at the right time.”

The bolded part really leaves me with the impression that he could be the leader of another Orioles dynasty, a la Frank Robinson. Character matters and it is difficult to measure. But this quote, from someone who has been close to CM for a long time, is rather telling. Or maybe I'm taking too much out of a SoR blog post. It's New Years after all.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Interesting that Mayo trains with 1B  Anthony Rizzo.   I think of Rizzi as a having a good glove at 1B.   Maybe Mayo is getting some pointers from him.

Mayo, Rizzo and Jesus Luzardo all went to the same high school, but the detail in the piece with the trainer Rizzo has been part of Mayo's life from an early age was new to me.

Even from draft day, I kind of imagined Kris Bryant as a player this tall 3B might have especially felt an affinity for in MLB, even without his teammate being a neighbor.     Now, if Mayo can blend Bryant's tools and Rizzo's approach...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Fascinating read. Thank you and Happy New Year to you, @Frobby

This quote is extremely encouraging and makes you appreciate who CM is as a human being. He appears to be a good one.

“I watched Coby dedicate himself to his profession, but (last) year, after him being away another year on his own, living on his own, playing ball and thriving – thank you God – he’s going to be that leader. He’s got it. He’s aware of the situations, whatever they are. He has full awareness and he’s present and he’s understanding all that needs to be done in that present situation and environment. He’s there. I see him looking after other guys who train, because sometimes we have some groups. I see Coby having that leadership awareness that’s necessary to make the right call at the right time.”

The bolded part really leaves me with the impression that he could be the leader of another Orioles dynasty, a la Frank Robinson. Character matters and it is difficult to measure. But this quote, from someone who has been close to CM for a long time, is rather telling. Or maybe I'm taking too much out of a SoR blog post. It's New Years after all.

Everything, and I mean everything oozes that Mayo is going to be a special player. His jump in plate discipline last year, especially once he adjusted to AAA pitching was the payoff for his hard work. He really puts in the work to be the best that he's going to be. He's such a smart hitter up there to go with all of his tools. 

• Upvote 4