Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?

Greg Pappas

Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?

I'll go Holliday for funsies. 

It's probably Westburg, but then there's kind of an odd hole at 3B. Gunnar will be the SS, but I don't know that they want to start Urias at 3B most days. I don't think Mayo is defensively ready to be the full time 3B. Ortiz is more of a SS, so that's also kind of weird. I'm sure he could handle 3B, but is he a starter offensively right now? I don't know. 

Holliday fixes all of that. You just slide Westburg over to third and everyone feels pretty slotted in. 

I am assuming Holliday is unlikely to make the opening day roster, and Norby is also not on the 40-man and even less likely to make the team IMO. 

Could be any of the others but I think if Ortiz makes the team it is most likely as SS/3B. 

That leaves Westburg and Urias. I would lean toward Westburg, both because I think Urias could be traded, and also because 3B is Urias's best position and 2B is Westburg's. I would go with Westburg but with low confidence.

• Upvote 1

I started the thread because there are many possibilities and no certainties.  I agree that Holliday most likely begins in AAA.  I also believe Ortiz will make the team and start, either at SS or 2B.  IMHO, the best lineup we can put together before Holliday's call up would be Gunnar at 3B, Ortiz at SS, and Westy at 2B.  From my vantage point, Ortiz seems pivotal.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I started the thread because there are many possibilities and no certainties.  I agree that Holliday most likely begins in AAA.  I also believe Ortiz will make the team and start, either at SS or 2B.  IMHO, the best lineup we can put together before Holliday's call up would be Gunnar at 3B, Ortiz at SS, and Westy at 2B.  From my vantage point, Ortiz seems pivotal.

Elias on Ortiz back in July:

“We love Joey Ortiz, we love having him as part of our future. I think he's going to have a long future as a starting shortstop, and here is the most likely place.”

So - you may be onto something. That could be Elias talking up his own prospect/asset, or it could be another case of Elias telling us exactly what's going to happen. 

• Upvote 2

Unless he's traded, it's almost certainly Westburg. Holliday is the dark horse.

If Westburg goes, then it might be Ortiz.

I just don't see it with Urias/Norby unless Elias thinks Holliday really needs more AAA time and Westburg and Ortiz are gone or hurt.

Only Holliday is a LHH.  Once he's up, he's the priority play with the same long leash Gunnar had.  How big of a factor does being a LHH play in time management decisions?  I don't think it's enough to counter the extra year of team control.

I think Norby is buried another year or traded (or OF) because that's the agreed upon rules of engagement.

That leaves Westburg, Urias, and Ortiz...

In my best dreams, Holliday is the OD 2B.  And Urias/Mateo are traded for prospects with Westburg as the 3B and Ortiz as the UTIL.

In my next best dreams, Ortiz is the SS and Gunnar is 3B, with Westburg at 2B.  It would be a fairly bold move to push Gunnar off SS even if it's not full-time though.

In reality, I think Westburg or Ortiz is traded.  Either way, that would put Urias getting the bulk of 2B reps.  If Westburg is dealt, Gunnar is the primary 3B and Ortiz is SS.  If Ortiz is dealt, then Westburg is 3B with Gunnar at SS.

I believe it was Roch the other day that mentioned that Mayo was being blocked at 3B by Gunnar and Westburg.  That raised a lot of questions about where all of these guys will line up, didn't it?   Makes it difficult to answer this poll with any degree of certainty.  🙂  It is a good "problem" to have, though.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, oriole said:

I hope it’s Holliday at 2B, Westburg at 3B and Urias is off the roster. Otherwise, it’s highly likely to be Westburg at 2B and Urias at 3B.

Only way Urias is off the roster is if he's traded. Hopefully Elias can work a trade with the Marlins that sends off Urias or Mateo.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Greg, don't you believe that Gunnar is the big dog.  Because of his production and his desire to play mostly SS, won't it to hard be move him off SS?

I think we may see Ortiz 3B, Gunnar SS and Westburg at 2B if no one is traded.  2B is Westburg best defensive position.   Ortiz from what I hear will be very good at any of 3B/SS/2B.  To be good at 3B the player needs great reflexes.   Ortiz has that.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Greg, don't you believe that Gunnar is the big dog.  Because of his production and his desire to play mostly SS, won't it to hard be move him off SS?

I think we may see Ortiz 3B, Gunnar SS and Westburg at 2B if no one is traded.  2B is Westburg best defensive position.   Ortiz from what I hear will be very good at any of 3B/SS/2B.  To be good at 3B the player needs great reflexes.   Ortiz has that.

The big dog?

Heh.

We need more offensive power production from the 3B position than what Urias, Ortiz, and Westburg have shown.   2022 Urias was okay,  but the 2023 version of all these guys leaves much to be desired.   1B and 3B need to have a bat.