Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?

Greg Pappas

Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?

39 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Only way Urias is off the roster is if he's traded. Hopefully Elias can work a trade with the Marlins that sends off Urias or Mateo.

I agree. I think it was prudent to keep both and true to Elias’ tendency to be extremely risk averse. I hope to see him traded though. I’d prefer to keep Mateo as the utility guy, but I’m alright with either one leaving. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Elias on Ortiz back in July:

“We love Joey Ortiz, we love having him as part of our future. I think he's going to have a long future as a starting shortstop, and here is the most likely place.”

So - you may be onto something. That could be Elias talking up his own prospect/asset, or it could be another case of Elias telling us exactly what's going to happen. 

Gunnar’s stardom in August and September, particularly his ability to play strong defensive shortstop may have changed calculus.  Before that, it seemed industry consensus was that Gunnar’s best position was 3B, and then he turned into young Cal Ripken at SS with his arm.

Edited by Say O!

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Greg, don't you believe that Gunnar is the big dog.  Because of his production and his desire to play mostly SS, won't it to hard be move him off SS?

I think we may see Ortiz 3B, Gunnar SS and Westburg at 2B if no one is traded.  2B is Westburg best defensive position.   Ortiz from what I hear will be very good at any of 3B/SS/2B.  To be good at 3B the player needs great reflexes.   Ortiz has that.

I would not be surprised at all to find Gunnar starting at SS this season and for many seasons to come.  He showed marked improvement during the season and looks to be a strong defender at SS, as well as above average at 3B.  Now, if Ortiz is in Elias and Hyde's plans, I imagine it'll be at SS as Ortiz is perhaps a bit better there than even Gunnar, which could push Gunnar to 3B.  But I could also see Hyde sticking with Gunnar at SS and letting Ortiz compete for the 2B job.  Again, plenty of possibilities. While it's hard to figure out, especially at this juncture, it IS fun to speculate. 🙂

35 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Gunnar’s stardom in August and September, particularly his ability to play strong defensive shortstop may have changed calculus.  Before that, it seemed industry consensus was that Gunnar’s best position was 3B, and then he turned into young Cal Ripken at SS with his arm.

Gunnar looked just as good, if not better, at 3B too. If Holliday makes the team then Gunnar will play mostly 3B IMO. 

Safest bet starting IF is Mountcastle 1B, Westburg 2B, 3B Urias, SS Henderson.

Second most likely IMO is Mountcastle 1B, 2B Westburg, SS Ortiz, 3B Henderson.

Lots of variables and only Gunnar is guaranteed an everyday role and to be on the team at this point. 

I’d be somewhat shocked if Holliday breaks with the big league club. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Westburg until Holliday is ready, then Westburg becomes a super-utility. Ortiz at short and Gunnar at third. 

I think this is right unless we hold onto Urias, in which case Urias 3B, Gunnar SS, with Westburg at 2B until Holliday is ready. 

7 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I started the thread because there are many possibilities and no certainties.  I agree that Holliday most likely begins in AAA.  I also believe Ortiz will make the team and start, either at SS or 2B.  IMHO, the best lineup we can put together before Holliday's call up would be Gunnar at 3B, Ortiz at SS, and Westy at 2B.  From my vantage point, Ortiz seems pivotal.

Agree Ortiz is pivotal, because if hes not traded then he should be on the 26 man as Starter Utl, Urias stays in case he under performs, Mateo gets roster crunched. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Westburg went on a heater to start the season. Based on his AAA career, he's got some power that he didn't display much of in his debut season in the Big Leagues and it's only a matter of time until that shows up again.