Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?

Greg Pappas

Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who begins the season as our "regular" 2B?

@Tony-OH

I'm a big Urias fan, so there's some bias here.

But I think he still has a role on the 2024 team. He could be in the opening-day infield and later transition to a strong defensive bench player who can play three infield positions and hit righties above league average.

Even with the injuries, Fielding Bible rated him as our fourth-best defender last season. The only infielder with a higher DRS was Gunnar.

Urias has been worth 5.4 rWAR over the past two seasons. That's more than Mountcastle (3.4), Mateo (4.2), Hays (4.7), or Santander (5.1). 

Do I think he's more important than all of those guys? No. But I think he's a high-floor, versatile veteran that could benefit this young team. Plus Hyde likes shifting the lineups a lot and his platoon splits are the opposite of Westburg and Ortiz's. 

Edited by TommyPickles
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Ortiz was truly exceptional last year. He's the whole package and the only guy that I would slot in at SS ahead of Gunnar. And he's ready. I'd like to see Ortiz at SS, Gunnar at 3B, and Westburg at 2B to start the year with Holliday bumping him to Util once we are assured the extra year of team control.

This also means we begin the year with Urias in the Util slot and ship him away when Holliday is ready. It further means that we would likely have a disgruntled Norby in Norfolk (he had a franchise record 164 hits there last year - nothing more to prove in the minors) unless we can use him as a piece to get Luzardo/Cease.

Further furthermore, all of this also means that we give Jorge Mateo a full-time tryout as the part-time RH CF only. (I believe we'll bring in a couple more RH CFers to compete with Mateo and McKenna... We'll treat it like last year's part-time LH 1B, which worked out pretty well with O'Hearn. It'd be nice to replicate that at RH CF.) He's gonna make $2.7m this year so I'd say they want him to grab that role. If he doesn't grab it, we may have trouble unloading him during ST at that price even with the likely return to SS for his new team. (Something to watch.)

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Mayo underrated now?  All of this Holliday talk, which is warranted, but what about Mayo being the 3rd basemen and Westburg being at 2B?

With the makeup of our roster now, Holliday and Mayo are going to play a ton of ST games. Probably our starters for all of our road games.

I know we have a wall out there in LF, but Mayo is just about “ready” too. 

I would be happy if the O's used Mountcastle as the main chip to get a good starting pitcher.  Mayo could step in at 1B/DH and replace Mountcastle's production.  But I can see the argument for giving Mayo more time at Norfolk to work on his defense at 3B and/or RF (where his arm would be an asset).  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This kind of supports my argument. Even though people say we were a good team, I think that a lot of us don’t really think we are. Yes, Seattle has splendid pitching, but… We do too. So, instead of saying “oh my God we’re facing a fantastic pitching staff”, why aren’t we saying, “oh my God, THEY are facing a fantastic pitching staff”? And regardless of flaws in our hitting approach, we are a top offense. Seattle is pretty dreadful at the plate. That’s the imposter complex; the idea that we’re really not that good and it’s all some kind of a charade. 
    • I am one of the bigger Urias fans here.  I think he was criminally underrated the last couple of years, and I’ve resisted the calls for his head based on a few cold weeks.  But he doesn’t get forever.  
    • Yes sir Mr. Firestone, it’s never easy but what experience these young bats are gaining. Incremental growth against the best will set us up well for the playoffs if we are so lucky. Until then, pitching and defense will hopefully carry us through and maybe we run into a couple early before their arms settle down in a groove. Can’t wait to see what happens either way though my mind and presence will be at the A&M/Arkansas game again tonight following an incredible walk off win by the Ags last night. The SEC West is still in play for my boys!
    • I agree individual posters have favorite players.  In regard to Cowser specifically, I think more...experienced posters on here realize that he's young and he needs some time to get out of his slump.  But to your point, people like him and want to see him do well, too.  He's a bit of a fan favorite already. I'm not sure what your points were on the rebuild but there were discussions about the right way/wrong way to go about doing it, when exactly people felt this team was ready to contend, what prospects to call up and when.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who thinks Elias has done an overall bad job, but there have always been disagreements on roster decisions, signings, etc that might cross the line into the negative territory. I do believe I see where you're coming from on unrealistic expectations, sort of.  Expectations are through the roof this year and no one wants to see a team like the San Diego Padres of recent years who, despite being loaded with talent, are not winners.  I think there's still a lot of apprehension about knowing that this team is good after it's been bad for so long.  Almost like a knee jerk reflex. But you are correct, we should be absolutely thrilled with being here right now.  This is as promising as I can ever remember this team being.
    • Nobody mentioned it because it’s an utterly false narrative.  The team has a Pythagorean record based on runs scored and allowed of 26-15, compared to their actual record of 27-14.  That’s a minimal amount of luck.  
    • I think individual posters will have favorite players where things like that will happen.  Cowser, for instance, has been getting some of that treatment during his recent struggles. I was very positive about the state of the rebuild as it was happening.  But that became an increasingly unpopular position as it continued, despite it looking better and better as it progressed. And I think a lot of it stems from unrealistic expectations.  And that's kind of the thing I don't get.  We're the Baltimore Orioles.  We're on pace to win 100 games for the second consecutive year.  This is as good as it gets.   What in the last 40 years suggest we shouldn't be absolutely thrilled with being in this position?
    • I still don't know. If he's DFA'd, he's the kind of guy that gets claimed like, within seconds. He's useful to both bad teams because he's under control for awhile, and good teams who need a decent UTIL IF replacement. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now