Trade Package Anxiety

RZNJ

9 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Fine.  Pick any other player that blossomed after they left or were traded by the Orioles.  Would Steve Finley be a better player to pick?  I'm sure you'd find fault with that one as well.  My point is that it would suck to see Westburg be a very good player for another team for the next 10 years.  Just my gut feeling.  Like I said, I would understand him being included in a trade.  I just wouldn't like it.

If you are looking for a player that blossomed after they left the Orioles Grich was a really poor choice.

His four best seasons (rWAR) were with the Orioles.

I find it "silly" when prospects get compared to HoF and near HoF players.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is Frobby suggesting Westburg might steal 50 bases like BRob?   OMG!   How can you compare two totally different types of players?   Oh, what blasphemy!   See, I can be silly too.

I think Westburg is a lot more likely to have a 50 steal season than he is to accumulate 70 career WAR.

He has the speed.

19 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Fine.  Pick any other player that blossomed after they left or were traded by the Orioles.  Would Steve Finley be a better player to pick?  I'm sure you'd find fault with that one as well.  My point is that it would suck to see Westburg be a very good player for another team for the next 10 years.  Just my gut feeling.  Like I said, I would understand him being included in a trade.  I just wouldn't like it.

My only concerns are (1) that we get what we paid for (i.e., the players we receive back perform as expected), and (2) whoever our alternatives are to the traded players perform well.  If those things happen, I won’t rue that the traded player(s) also did well.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are looking for a player that blossomed after they left the Orioles Grich was a really poor choice.

His four best seasons (rWAR) were with the Orioles.

I find it "silly" when prospects get compared to HoF and near HoF players.

You're so hyper-focused on my reference to Grich that you're still missing the point of my post.

Besides, wasn't it Palmer that made the original comparison of Westburg to Grich?  I don't think he was saying he would have the same career.

Also, Frobby previously stated Westburg reminded him of Ian Kinsler.  He didn't say he thought Westburg would have as good of a career as Kinsler. 

Still, put all of that together and the thought of trading Westburg gives me anxiety, which was the point of the thread.

Just now, Hazmat said:

You're so hyper-focused on my reference to Grich that you're still missing the point of my post.

Besides, wasn't it Palmer that made the original comparison of Westburg to Grich?  I don't think he was saying he would have the same career.

Also, Frobby previously stated Westburg reminded him of Ian Kinsler.  He didn't say he thought Westburg would have as good of a career as Kinsler. 

Still, put all of that together and the thought of trading Westburg gives me anxiety, which was the point of the thread.

I'm of the mindset that Westburg should be the full-time second baseman OR third baseman for this team, depending on who gets traded.

4 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Elias gave up on Yaz and Scott and we survived.

It's part of the game.  It's going to happen.

Losing six years of a pretty good player can be fine if you get something of value back.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm a little surprised Westburg is this highly regarded by Elias and most fans. I think he's going to be a solid player, and I think everyone is convincing me he's going to be better than maybe I thought. I just kind of see him as a steady .750ish regular rather than a major impact bat. I'm not 100% sure yet that his home run power will translate (he'll no doubt hit a lot of doubles) and I'm not sure he's going to be an OBP guy. Not ruling any of that out though by any means. 

I just want to see more at the ML level. He was a better defender than I expected and his sprint speed is surprising for a guy his size. 

I guess he does have a lot more room to be a good player than someone like Kjerstad, who I love, but absolutely must post power numbers to be a dude. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1