Long Elias Interview Today (1/25)

Aglets

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think Getz is afraid to pull the trigger on a Cease trade, to anyone, not just the Orioles, because he’s afraid that he may be seen as “losing the trade.”

I think there’s little downside to Getz waiting.  He’s unlikely to lose the opportunity to trade Cease without getting a clear warning.  

Andy McPhail waited until Feb. 8 to trade Erik Bedard.  I don’t think waiting hurt him. 

On 1/26/2024 at 3:13 PM, Aristotelian said:

Lorenzen's 4.18 ERA last year was worse than Kremer and Wells and only slightly better than Irvin. 4.24 in '22 and 5.59 in '21. I don't understand why we would sign him or how he  would be considered an upgrade. Sure, we have the budget to sign him, but why we would spend the money on him? 

I'm warming to the idea of signing Lorenzen on a one-year deal.  I think he's the one bargain-bin guy left who would be an upgrade over Gibson. 

His overall numbers for 2023 are not inspiring, but consider that after his first NL start, he had a 3.48 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP for the season, with 88K and only 28BB in 113.2 IP.  His second NL start was the no-hitter, but he threw 124 pitches (after throwing 8 IP in his previous start) and was garbage from that point on--clearly Philadelphia let sentiment get in the way of conserving their assets.  

He's a career reliever so you have to manage his innings and pitch counts carefully.  I don't think you can count on him for as many innings as Gibson.  But I do think he has a chance to be more effective than Gibson--a 3.50 ERA in 130 IP would help this team a lot.