Long Elias Interview Today (1/25)

Aglets

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Another Elias interview that'll be analyzed to death and referenced for the rest of time.  Awesome!

Come on, don’t you know it’s the offseason?!?! The season of overanalyzing!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A lot of trades that are made will probably make the team worse in the long run.  The Miller trade made the team worse in the long run, you wouldn't have made it?  Anytime you are trading six plus years for two or fewer you will run into that.

Sometimes you have to make a move for the current team.

I’m not sure why there is such a hesitance from fans to win now. It’s like people only want to win with what’s here.  I get that fans aren’t used to the Os winning or being in the seat of buyers to get over the hump but the fear of it is odd to me.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are two terms you use in this statement that require better definition.     First, what does it mean to “overpay?”   To me, overpaying is a move that is likely to make your team worse in the long run, and I never want my team to do that.   That’s the judgment Elias has to make.  The fact that we’re paying more than we’d like, or more than other teams have offered, is irrelevant to my definition of overpaying.   

The second term you use is “perfectly content.”   I don’t think anyone here wants to go into this season with our current rotation.   But if the only way to improve the rotation is to overpay, as I’ve defined the term, then at that point I’d live with the current rotation, because I don’t want the team to be made worse long term.   

Note, I am not saying the only way to improve our rotation is to overpay.  That remains to be seen.  

The overpay comment was meant to apply to both trading for players (i.e., giving up too many high level prospects) and signing FAs (i.e., giving out exorbidant long-term deals). I can understand the logic in not wanting to do both, but there are certainly middle grounds to be had. Although in terms of the FA market there really aren't many players who fall into the middle ground starting pitching category who are left. In that regard, I think Elias may have painted himself into a bit of a corner (if a reasonable FA signing was ever even an option for him). 

And the perfectly content comment might not apply to you, but I've definitely seen some posters say that they're  fine going into the season with some interation of our current starting pitchers. Whether that means moving Wells, Hall or Irvin to the starting rotation. That's the part that I take issue with and I think if Elias is unable to improve that aspect of the team then this offseason will have to be looked upon as failed effort on his end. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The overpay comment was meant to apply to both trading for players (i.e., giving up too many high level prospects) and signing FAs (i.e., giving out exorbidant long-term deals). I can understand the logic in not wanting to do both, but there are certainly middle grounds to be had. Although in terms of the FA market there really aren't many players who fall into the middle ground starting pitching category who are left. In that regard, I think Elias may have painted himself into a bit of a corner (if a reasonable FA signing was ever even an option for him). 

And the perfectly content comment might not apply to you, but I've definitely seen some posters say that they're  fine going into the season with some interation of our current starting pitchers. Whether that means moving Wells, Hall or Irvin to the starting rotation. That's the part that I take issue with and I think if Elias is unable to improve that aspect of the team then this offseason will have to be looked upon as failed effort on his end. 

Yea, there are definitely posters on here and just Os fans in general that are perfectly content with the team as is (and knowing what can be brought up as the season goes on).

12 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Not really my point, but I get what you’re saying. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I don’t think the Flaherty deal makes him hesitant to do another prospect for major leaguer deal.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure why there is such a hesitance from fans to win now. It’s like people only want to win with what’s here.  I get that fans aren’t used to the Os winning or being in the seat of buyers to get over the hump but the fear of it is odd to me.

You have to do the math.  Is a greater chance at winning a WS in 2014 worth weakening the 2016-2020 teams to some degree?  Dan decided it was and I agreed with him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You have to do the math.  Is a greater chance at winning a WS in 2014 worth weakening the 2016-2020 teams to some degree?  Dan decided it was and I agreed with him.

Yep. You do that trade 100 times out of 100.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Holliday, Ortiz, Cowser, Heston still have their rookies adjustment period to go through.  Westburg may or may not be through his.

So we should just push this off until the playoff push... when are the supposed to get it then? Even during Gunnar Henderson adjustment period he still had a higher  OPS than Mateo had last year

2 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

So we should just push this off until the playoff push... when are the supposed to get it then? Even during Gunnar Henderson adjustment period he still had a higher  OPS than Mateo had last year

This "adjustment" period is not constant.  For some, it is quite a bit longer.  Even longer than a season. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Holliday, Ortiz, Cowser, Heston still have their rookies adjustment period to go through.  Westburg may or may not be through his.

This is a pretty poor justification for keeping players like Mateo on the roster IMO. All of the players that you mentioned have nothing left prove in the minors with the exception of maybe Holliday who "might" need  a bit more seasoning. If the Orioles believe in them as players then they need to commit to giving them somewhat consistent ABs at the MLB level. If they don't or can't then they need to trade them. The only way they're going to get better and more comfortable is if they play. Unless you're specifically talking about playing match-ups, trying to time when a rookie is or isn't going to slump is a fool's game. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think the Flaherty deal makes him hesitant to do another prospect for major leaguer deal.

I say Elias did not get where is by being fearful of every trade possibility to the extent that he  is gun shy about pulling the trigger.  That is just being prudent IMO.