Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

15 hours ago, interloper said:

From the Banner:

What do we think about Angelos remaining a senior advisor - do we think that's indefinite, or until PA dies and Rubenstein is full majority owner, or some other scenario? 

I am impatient to fully rid the family from making any senior level decisions. 

That was probably nothing more than to help with the transfer more than anything else. The Angelos' have owned this Billion-dollar organization for a long time. It's not like they sold a car. 

I don't think it means much more than he's not just going to go "poof" and they're going to be like, "Where's the keys to the owner's box?" :D

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, justD said:

Thanks for this.  It's amazing that there is so much attention being paid to John Angelos as the one everyone loves to hate, but for heaven's sake, ask Brooks, ask Davey Johnson, ask Jim Duquette, and so many others, what it was like working under the thumb of his dad.  People want to read Britt Ghiroli's take on Peter, but she's already weighed in and even she focused the majority of her coverage on JA. 

There is a lot that I admire Peter Angelos for from the early years, but the way he ran the Orioles after Albert Belle (to my recollection, that was the real tipping point) brought so much pain to so many and I've got many friends who abandoned the Orioles for the Nats solely as a boycott of the meddling ways by which he ran the organization into the ground.  

There has been a lot said by journalists such as Ken Rosenthal over the years that describe the real reasons perhaps so many of us who've been around for a while are joyous about this.  Tony's headline article a few years back nailed a few of the issues as well. 

So I don't need any of those writers to necessarily lay it all out there, but damn, it amazes me that not only here on OH but also on the Foul Territory podcast and various Jomboy Media "shows" on YouTube and even some of the local coverage that's been quoted in this thread, so much negative Angelos attention has been about John without any real perspective about how long Orioles fans suffered under Peter Angelos ownership follies.

The Davey Johnson situation was the bright red flag for me. As beneficiary of nepotism John deserves extra scrutiny and has gotten it. The whole family has been a toxic stain on the organization.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Which means it’s already been in the works for a while.

This has been leaking out for months. Remember the threads here about this? Then JA poo-poo'd the idea because he was working the stadium lease in a way to enrich himself the best.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, interloper said:

Have we had @Tony-OH's take yet? Any predictions or rumblings Tony?

I thought I had posted earlier in the thread. I was on vacation down in Florida and really try to disconnect when I'm on vacation as much as possible, but I did mention that I thoughts this was a fantastic for the organization.

The only thing I've added is that I have heard the rumblings about a Leonsis angle to all of this so I would not be surprised if he buys some portion or all of MASN. 

Anything that removes the Angelos' from being in control and brings in an owner who has the funds to actually spend to maintain a winning organization is great news for all of us.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

LOL

Gotta give Nestor credit, no one thinks more highly of himself, but he does bleed Baltimore and I'm sure he's been waiting for this day for a long time. And anyone who can keep himself a float financially while running WNST, God bless him. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Just a few things that happened under Peter Angelos ownership:

Rochester Red Wings,the Orioles AAA team was told that after 40 years we don't want to be associated with the Oriole organization.  Product and the way it was run 

After that the Orioles AAA team was supposed to move to Harrisburg, close to Baltimore but Peter kept asking for more things and the mayor on and others told him forget it.

Ended up in Ottawa as the Lynx and it was a disaster. Cold ,not a good stadium and terrible attendance.

Looked for a ST home for years. The weight equipment in the Miami facility was outside under a tent and a dilapidated place.

The minor league ST  field was so bad that many teams refused to play on it. Jake Arrieta complained about it and supposedly was one of the reasons that he was traded.

Jeffrey Hammonds once said that at each level of the minors you were taught different things,no continuity. 

Plus not much in international scouting or signings 

These are just a few of the many things under Peter.

To me part of being an effective leader or owner is the ability to acquire, motivate and keep talented executives-the Orioles were the laughing stock of MLB during the Thrift years.

Even during the DD years I can remember in ST/Rookie games Milt May-the Orioles ancient coach at the time using hand held spray charts while the Pirates or Red Sox's young, spanish speaking coaches used tablets.

10 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I just remembered Cal wanted Gunnar at SS and to stop the back and forth last year.  Maybe he has a talk with Elias about leaving the kid at SS?  

Does anyone here think Elias will be swayed by anyone not on his staff? In the times I've dealt with him or heard him talk, he seems like a nice guy who will listen to what people may say out of politeness. But make no mistake, he has his process, and a new minority owner who happens to be an Orioles legend is not going to change any of the ways he does business or makes decisions.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, justD said:

Thanks for this.  It's amazing that there is so much attention being paid to John Angelos as the one everyone loves to hate, but for heaven's sake, ask Brooks, ask Davey Johnson, ask Jim Duquette, and so many others, what it was like working under the thumb of his dad.  People want to read Britt Ghiroli's take on Peter, but she's already weighed in and even she focused the majority of her coverage on JA. 

There is a lot that I admire Peter Angelos for from the early years, but the way he ran the Orioles after Albert Belle (to my recollection, that was the real tipping point) brought so much pain to so many and I've got many friends who abandoned the Orioles for the Nats solely as a boycott of the meddling ways by which he ran the organization into the ground.  

There has been a lot said by journalists such as Ken Rosenthal over the years that describe the real reasons perhaps so many of us who've been around for a while are joyous about this.  Tony's headline article a few years back nailed a few of the issues as well. 

So I don't need any of those writers to necessarily lay it all out there, but damn, it amazes me that not only here on OH but also on the Foul Territory podcast and various Jomboy Media "shows" on YouTube and even some of the local coverage that's been quoted in this thread, so much negative Angelos attention has been about John without any real perspective about how long Orioles fans suffered under Peter Angelos ownership follies.

I think part of that is because everything has been written already about how poor Peter Angelos was as owner. What we've seen, especially over the last year or two as the Orioles have gotten good, is that John Angelos wants to adulation of the common folk (peasants/fans to him) and most importantly the attention of the media.

At the end of the day, once the sale is final, and I think that's just a formality, this will be a glorious, glorious day in Baltimore sports history.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s involved with the Ripken baseball stuff. He’s been around the game his entire life and that’s in addition to his playing career. What makes you think he wouldn’t be a good mentor or coach?

Im just curious to get your thinking on this. I expect that Cal will likely be involved in the front office in some capacity. And really don’t think he will be involved with the on field stuff.

It's mostly because of Cal's ego and the fact that I think he tends to wear his arrogance on his sleeve. I'm not saying that he didn't earn it, I just don't think his personality type  would lend itself to mentoring a younger player. And I'd much rather have Gunnar take direction from the coaches who Hyde/Elias have handpicked who are more in tune with the modern game than someone like Cal. If he wants to say a few inspirational words here and there or even do a quick on field session with some of the players (more for PR sake) that's fine, but I really don't want to see anything more permanent. 

As I mentioned in another post we recently saw how poorly it worked out for another HOF SS in Derek Jeter when the Marlins gave him too much power and responsibility. If you look at the current list of MLB managers I don't think there's a single former HOFer on the list. And aside from Aaron Boone, who made the All-Star team in 2003, I don't think there's a former All-Star either (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think there's a reason the best coaches and managers seem to be former mediocre and/or scrappy players and a lot of that ties back to humility, which isn't typically a strong point of a "star" player. 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's mostly because of Cal's ego and the fact that I think he tends to wear his arrogance on his sleeve.

Where’s the evidence?

Mind you, I’m not stumping for Cal to have some glorified coaching role either. I’ve just seen you badger him for his apparently massive ego with nothing added as proof. I know that there’s the “sorry Brooksie” comment that has forever tarnished him in the eyes of some. Outside of that, I can’t really think of anything terrible about him unless we’re digging up old SI articles where he stayed in separate hotels. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where’s the evidence?

Mind you, I’m not stumping for Cal to have some glorified coaching role either. I’ve just seen you badger him for his apparently massive ego with nothing added as proof. I know that there’s the “sorry Brooksie” comment that has forever tarnished him in the eyes of some. Outside of that, I can’t really think of anything terrible about him unless we’re digging up old SI articles where he stayed in separate hotels. 

Maybe they're referencing when he and his family sued his hometown of Aberdeen?

I know plenty of criticized the general way in which the Ironbirds have been run.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where’s the evidence?

I'm not looking to file a civil suit against the man! It's just my opinion based on interviews, public appearances, etc. over the years. We could dive into how "The Streak" evolved into something that was mostly an ego driven milestone that was  detrimental to the team for those last few seasons, but I really don't want to go there during what is the happiest week in Orioles baseball in a quite a long time.