Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

After all the frustration and disappointment over the years this really does feel like liftoff. Great Stadium, Great GM and FO, Tons of talent at all Levels. And new deep pocketed Owners. No wonder all the other Fans in the AL East are freaking out. I am going to enjoy this ride.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why does his baseball ref page say he's not a free agent until 2025 but I see elsewhere that's he's a free agent now? And isn't he missing most of the season? 

Non-tendered for 2024 due to injury.

Another MLB player who did not complete 6 years of service with his original Club despite being a 2-time All-Star.

Isn't it nifty how that 5.161 service time occurred across 7 MLB seasons?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

"It seems weird to call a trade a win-win when the teams are both currently competitive. Doesn’t one have to be a loser? But I think this was a perfect reallocation of resources. The Orioles were wasting potential by having so many prospects blocked by their already impressive major league team. The Brewers needed prospect quantity and quality. The Orioles added more wins in 2024 with this deal than the Brewers lost because Hall will pitch more (and more important) innings in Milwaukee than he would have in Baltimore.

That’s about as both-sides-happy as it gets in baseball."

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just extend Holliday and let’s watch him win ROY.

Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer

Kimbrel, Cano, Wells, Tate, Baumann, Coloumbe, Perez, Irvin

vs RHP

1. Holliday 2B L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santander RF S

5. Mountcastle 1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Hays LF R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Westburg 2B R

McCann, Urias, Mateo, Hilliard

Sorry but they made the shift illegal.  You have to move someone to the left side of the infield.

• Haha 1

Current Orioles own 4 of the top 8 pitcher-seasons by Stuff+'s reckoning across the last 6 years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=36&month=0&ind=1&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2018&season=2023&sortcol=13&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

NFBC players as a group regard the Orioles as holding momentarily the 2024 AL's 2nd, 10th and 13th best SP.

Gerrit-Burnes-Gausman-Castillo-Kirby

Pablo-Skubal-Framber-Gilbert-Grayson

Eflin-Ryan-Bradish-Cease-Ragans

That's essentially three #1 starters in a 15-team league if you are a stickler every team must have one.

33 minutes ago, Malike said:

Keygans talked about a reunion with an old friend in this thread, maybe that's who they were talking about.

Tanner Scott?   He would be another one year rental but the 2023 Scott was probably a best case scenario for D.L. Hall this year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• What he's been able to do at the plate has been a nice pick-me-up for the a team that has had multiple hitters struggling at the same time. For me though, watching how he's handled 2B this season has been a treat. The tag on the SB attempt last night was a play that not all 2B make.    There's been times I would have traded or released him for nothing, but right now I'm really glad he's still here.
    • If he stays right where he is right now hitting .245, he has very nice value. On pace for a 3-4 war season. As a secondary piece, that’s huge.
    • Adding relievers should be the priority, but that doesn't mean Elias won't look to strengthen our staff or add a hitter as well.  I'm not expecting us to trade for Luzardo, but it's a possibility with the injuries that our staff has been through. 
    • Luzardo is a really interesting target. On one hand, he is your Burnes replacement. A guy with high end starter potential (although less of a sure thing than Burnes) who you would have for 2 more years. OTOH, it feels like he could be a ticking time bomb…and yes you can say that about most pitchers but some are worse than others. Im not sure im giving up Povich or McDermott in a Luzardo deal because we just don’t have much depth right now after them. A year or 2 from now, the depth has the potential to look a lot better but we aren’t there yet. Besides the obvious 3 prospects, DeLeon, Povich and McDermott are the next 3 guys I really want to keep if possible. Everyone else is on the table although I certainly would prefer to use other intl guys vs Liranzo and Sosa. Using some kind of combo of Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, Fabian, any of the veteran OFers/OHearn/Mounty and any of the draft picks from last year are amongst the group of guys I would be looking to move first.  Try to build a package(s) around that group of players and see what you can come up with.
    • Maybe John Means could masquerade as a healthy Chayce McDermott. https://www.milb.com/player/chayce-mcdermott-694646
    • I’m not sure trading for an impact starter is best use of resources. We still have six starters at the MLB level in Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Irvin, Kremer, and Suarez. Then Povich looks like he deserves a shot if needed.    Burnes, Bradish, GRod are the obvious playoff trio.    further injuries would change things, obviously, but at the moment I don’t see a clear need (and would have to pay handsomely for an upgrade). If someone would want Kremer as a part of the package, then maybe it makes sense. 
    • When Kremer comes back you have Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Kremer, Irvin Suarez in the bullpen.  Povich and McDermott at Norfolk. Absent further injury I don’t see Elias doing what it would probably take for Luzardo.  The relievers like Scott, Harvey, etc. will be cheaper.        
  • Popular Contributors