Corbin Burnes quote re: extension vs free agency

interloper

23 hours ago, interloper said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/corbin-burnes-trade-rumors-extension-free-agent.html

Just a friendly reminder. It's not just speculation that he's a Boras guy and probably wants to test free agency - he himself has said he is absolutely committed to testing free agency.

Elias knows the score. He made the deal knowing there's a 99% chance he can't extend him, and that factored into what he was wililng to give up. For the folks assuming this trade somehow means the payroll leash is off, I'm not sure where that's coming from. For the price of 1/$15 and a couple prospects, you get an ace for a year. That's well within Elias' MO and it's even in line with previous payroll additions under Angelos. 

I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "Elias wouldn't have done this if an extension wasn't in the cards" thing. An extension is not in the cards. Period. In what world is Elias seeing the value in a deal approaching $300 million for a 30+ year old pitcher? I'm sorry, but no. This is a calculated trade at a precise moment when it is most likely to benefit the Orioles. Teams like the Yankees are going to be steaming mad next offseason and ready to blow away any offer even Rubenstein can make. And we still have no real idea of how Rubenstein will handle payroll. This trade tells us virtually nothing in that regard. 

I'm excited as anyone here, but just needed to get this out!

Yes.  This.  And I believe Elias said in the interview "this is all about 2024."  This is exciting because it would seem to indicate that there all in for this season.  

On 2/2/2024 at 11:13 AM, interloper said:

They traded for him in 2017 and Elias was with the Orioles in 2018. Try again. 

You can’t draw any conclusions about what he would do if he worked for an owner that spends money. He hasn’t had that …so suggest he would never play in the deep end of the pool is unknown.

Edited by Roll Tide

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You can’t draw any conclusions about what he would do if he worked for an owner that spends money. He hasn’t had that …so suggest he would never play in the deep end of the pool is unknown.

I agree but I argue we don't know yet if Rubenstein is "an owner that spends money". Let me be clear that I HOPE he is and I think it's LIKELY. I just don't ASSUME it without some evidence. Know what I mean?

1/$15 for Burnes is not evidence IMO because it's in line with Angelos' level of contract commitment and spending, and he was the one to approve it anyway, according to Elias.

We're gonna learn a lot pretty soon though and I'm as hopeful as anyone here.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree but I argue we don't know yet if Rubenstein is "an owner that spends money". Let me be clear that I HOPE he is and I think it's LIKELY. I just don't ASSUME it without some evidence. Know what I mean?

1/$15 for Burnes is not evidence IMO because it's in line with Angelos' level of contract commitment and spending, and he was the one to approve it anyway, according to Elias.

He did give that one interview before he bought the team.

Based off of that I'm expecting more of payroll than we have currently seen but nothing extravagant.

Just getting up to about 20th could make a huge difference.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did give that one interview before he bought the team.

Based off of that I'm expecting more of payroll than we have currently seen but nothing extravagant.

Just getting up to about 20th could make a huge difference.

Totally. The little we have to go off right now is what makes me hopeful for at least a reasonable increase like that.

It's just that actions speak, so let's see. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah ...I'm not assuming he will ...But I'm wishin' hopin' Prayin' if you know what I mean.